Day 48(pt.2): The Well & Remnants

While the ongoing battle that the captain of the Central Command team was involved in happened, the events for those still within the facility were just as stressful. The song of melancholy playing through the intercom was spreading around like a terrible disease infiltrating the mind of those who listen to it. With it, many more problems emerged, employees being dragged back to the main rooms in critical conditions for unknown reasons.

Clerk: Make way, we have an agent coming through!

One of the doors opened and a group of office workers stepped inside while carrying an injured employee. All running past a certain girl in charge of the Security team, her ears caught the yell of one of the other agents behind her.

Elis: D-Daniel, are you okay?! Please talk to me!

Daniel: Still... just a flesh wound.

Forced to hear the cries of those confused by what was going on, Alter Ego remained seated with a hand pressed against her head, her face completely motionless. In situations like these, she would often find herself rely on Hava to divide the burden on her shoulders but now that she was busy dealing with the Central Command team during Y/N's absense, she was the sole anchor keeping this entire department running, her Sephirah nowhere to be seen and even then, he wasn't the type to be helpful.

Hava no longer by her side to support her, having nobody to rely on, no idea what to do and the constant thought of never finding the one she fell in love with, all of these were crushing her. She couldn't breath properly, her chest raising and lowering rapidly. Without even realizing it, one of her fingers was in her mouth, pressing her teeth against her fingernail.

Alter Ego: C-Come on, y-you can do it.

She looked back at her own memories when the day first began, confident in her words and actions like it was the most natural thing in the world. Now, with the constant chaos spreading and the employees getting hurt left and right, she had no opportunity to recover her composure without something else disrupting her thoughts.

...

Alter Ego: What would he do?

She mumbled to herself and, as if a god listened to her question, the music cut short. The air around changed dramatically. Taken aback by what just occured, she stood up from her seat and looked around before her radio began to spew out some words. It took her a good minute to process the voices coming from the device but the words were now clear to her.

Sinvicta: We need assistance, Gebura's back on a rampage!

Alter Ego: ...

Her hand tightened around the sword she carried around. Her question was met with an answer. Confronted by a sudden twist of fate, there was only one choice he would have made: simply face the threat for the sake of protecting others.

Their true ordeal began as well.

...

...

The number of times I've grazed death in this facility, at least in this current iteration of "me", was nothing to scoff at. I could barely remember all the times my life could have ended, or at least assign a definite number. Yet, despite that fact, it was nothing compared the number of times I barely avoided death's door in this accursed place. Merely standing here was enough to count as being on the boundary of the afterlife, one foot already in the eternal void of death.

That monologue aside, I crouched down, barely avoiding an incoming pillar wanting nothing more than to leave my corpse without a cranium attached to it. Panting heavily, I stood back up and observed the ever-so changing liquid hijack one of the many fallen victims laying everywhere, using its body as a puppet.