Chapter 38

Year 854

"Annie told me what really happened to Marcel", you watch his movements freeze as he was ready to sit down next to you. He hovered in the air for a couple of seconds, and you swore his heart stopped.

You lazily wave a hand in the air. "But I have no room to talk."

He relaxed and sat next to you. "Are you..... okay?" He hesitantly asks. You were hoping that he wouldn't ask that question, but you didn't have the best luck at the moment so of course it had to pop up.

"I'm fine", you try to shake him off. The blood in his veins began to boil. He was overheating and you had no idea that what you just said pushed him over the edge.

"Are you!?", he raises his voice as you don't budge, "Y/n I- find it hard to believe that you are okay. Why are you out here alone? Why are your eyes red.... I'm tired of you pushing me away."

You move your head to where your left cheek was pressed against your knees as you look up at him. His face was just as you expected. Riddled with anger, guilt, and regret.

You just let him talk and he also didn't like how reluctant to talk back you were. He looked you in the eyes and stopped.

"This isn't about you Reiner.... Neither does it matter. I am trying to push everything that happened last night to the back of my head. I suggest you do that too."

"No.", he rejects, "I can't push what Yelena said to the back of my mind. Y/n.... you told me you were okay..... you promised! Do you understand how worried I was for you!? I wanted nothing more than to find out why you were acting strange or why you just upped and disappeared. Now I just find out that you we out killing people a-and alone for that matter!? " He racked his hands through his hair and huffs out.

"You can't just keep things like that to yourself! I was willing to listen to you and who am I to judge! Do I have to remind you how much I love you?"

Yea I can't keep going like this.

"Did you at least stay safe while I was gone", he said next you. He tilted his head back against the trunk.

"You mean when you were playing buddy with everyone. Or during your time with Historia, was it?", his eyes widens as he whips his head towards you at that name. You rose an eyebrow.

"Listen ...."

"I'm kidding.... I had Porco for the most part. As you can tell from the titan eyes that were staring into the depths of my soul, Pieck didn't have a clue... and of course Kenji was the one I tried my absolute hardest to not even mention his dad.", you started playing with some dirt that found it's way onto your blanket.

He noticed how worked up you were by this simple conversation... you weren't yelling not because you didn't want to, it's because if you started than you were allowing your emotions to take control. The subtle jokes and kids to lighten the mood, but it wasn't for Reiner, it was for your own sake.

"I was just embarrassed. I didn't tell Kenji this for obvious reasons but, I did blame him for a while. I took him with me for the purpose that if I go down, he is going down with me. Eventually i came to terms with the fact that he was only a baby, he had no part to play... that's when I started blaming his dad....."

"...... Hunted him down... killed him. But something about that kill felt relieving. I used that advantage of my poor mental state to just kill for money. If anyone wanted to fulfill a lifelong grudge, I made it easy... for a price.", Reiner listened and envisioned you at the time you came back. You really were someone who knew how to put on a mask.