Chapter 38

I remember youStanding up for meWhen I didn't expect you to

I remember you
Standing up for me
When I didn't expect you to

R A K S H I T

"What the hell is your problem?!" Neil shouted at Drishti while she tightened her grip around his collar and pulled him harshly. Neil was holding her collar, due to the height difference Drishti was finding it difficult to stand properly when he was pulling her up everytime.

"My problem? It's that I freaking saw you pushing Rakshit so that he gets hurt!" She yelled at him back before he pushed her harshly, throwing her on the ground. Drishti, being Drishti, stood up the very next moment and sprang at him to give him a punch in his face when he tried doing it again. "Use you mouth, not your hands"

"What happened to you all of a sudden? If you remember we were together?"

"Together?"she chuckled sarcastically before rolling her eyes at him "The people who are together don't try raping their partner Mr. Neil" she looked at him while the crowd gasped in shock.

"I was drunk!" He said.

"So? Is that an excuse for misbehaving with a girl?" Drishti asked Neil.

"Oh, I see. You think I'm making an excuse. The problem is that you didn't even listen to me. Just went out to find someone new for you. When you couldn't find anyone for you, you found him to replace me. And now you're standing in front of your boyfriend, I mean, ex-boyfriend for your newly found guy? Wow!"

"That's none of your business. It's between us, and you don't have to care what goes on when you yourself were the wrong person whom I regret meeting to the very core of my heart" she glared at him before pushing her way through the people gathered around and reaching out for me. "Come on Rakshit" she said to me and offered me her hand to stand up.

As I slipped my hand into hers, she helped me stand and looked into my eyes with care "Are you okay?"

"Yeah, I'm good" I replied with a smile.

Life is perfect?

Not at all.

"I wonder how you trapped the poor guy Drishti" oh yeah, just Neil deciding that he had to bark in between. "And now you're planning to go simply away without answering the questions to which all of us want answers? We want to know how and why?"

"Why should I even answer your question? Is that really necessary?" She sighed before holding my hand and signaling me to leave with her. "There's so much chaos"

With our fingers intertwined, she started walking away from the crowd when we heard a voice from the group saying 'I wonder why they are even together. Looks like he sympathizes her cuz she is so alone' which made her stop in her path.

"Drishti let's go. Don't listen to anyone" I tried pulling her away from the crowd with me but she jerked my arm and looked at everyone without any hesitation or fear of being wronged. "Drishti, let's go"

"No Rakshit" she looked at me and smiled sarcastically.

"What's going on in your mind?"

"Just, thinking to correct my mistake" she said and turned again to face the students who were looking at her for answers. "As for all of you. I don't need to answer you why we are together, why should I? But if it disturbs your mental balance so much then the answer is simple. This man, is my husband. We are married before we met you all and we don't regret it" she said.

The crowd gasped at the sudden revelation and started gossiping among themselves. Drishti stood rooted at her place and looked back at me with assurance that she knew what she had done. The moment was actually special for me as it was the day she didn't hesitate to accept our marriage in front of everyone.

"So you mean to say you were having an affair under his nose? Or better say, in front of his eyes?" Neil smirked through the crowd, ruining my flying over the clouds of happiness moment.

"Yes. I was" she accepted "And I'm sorry for that. But not to you"

"Woah, so you mean to say that some months ago you were having an affair and now all of a sudden you started liking him or better say loving him?" I didn't know what to say or how to react. How do we express I hate you and I love you together?

Such were my feelings for Neil after he said the last words.

Drishti stood at her place without uttering a simple word and same was the case with me. She hated it when someone tried to take a stand for her when she herself wanted the moment to just pass without any major drama. This seemed one of those moments which she wanted to simply pass.

"I hope that was enough for you all. I'm not answering any questions now" she said and turned back to leave. "Let's go Rakshit" she smiled at me and slipped her hand into mine before we started walking away from the crowd.

Whispers like 'she don't even deserve him' 'poor Rakshit is stuck with that girl' 'I feel sorry for him' 'she's so mean, she cheated on him yet he's staying with her' 'what a compromise he is doing' were heard. I felt her grip on my hand tighten as we walked past them and reached a lonely place far away from them.

"Drishti, you okay?" I asked her once we had stopped and took her face in my hands. "Don't care about what they say, I like you and that's all that matters, right?"

"Can we go to the room? Please" she whispered and looked at me with tiredness in her eyes. She looked tired, of being hated, tired of being the person she was, tired of herself.

"Yes sure" from the pale and tired look on her I wondered what she wanted to say.