A promotion »» Kelly Severide 🚒

Word count; 1084

A quiet laugh escaped my lips as Kelly pulled me into his office. As soon as the door closed he connected our lips in a sweet kiss. The two of us have been secretly dating for almost two months now. We aren't ready for people to know, especially chief Boden. After the trouble Dawson and Casey went through about their relationship, now isn't the right time.

We aren't allowed to work together and date. Kelly is lieutenant on squad 3 and I'm on truck 81, working under lieutenant Casey. Just as his hands started to roam my body, we hear a knock at the door. If those blinds weren't closed then we definitely would have been outed.

Kelly opened the door to reveal Cruz. He looked at us awkwardly then cleared his throat. "Chief wants to see you two in his office." He said. We nod and make our way to Boden's office. A frown appeared on my face seeing lieutenant Casey is already standing there.

"Glad you could join us, please shut the door." Chief says and Kelly did as he was told. My anxiety started increasing as to why he wanted to see the three of us. Maybe he found out about my relationship with Kelly and wants to transfer me or fire me. He wouldn't...would he? The thought made my heart race.

"Y/n I want to congratulate you on the good news," Chief began. He saw my confusion and continued. "Y/n you have been promoted to squad 3."

"Wait really?" Shock filled my body. He nodded and I smiled while looking over at Kelly. They congratulated me before I left the office to share the good news with everyone. Before entering the common room, I feel a hand grab my arm and pull me back.

"You never told me that you wanted to join squad," Kelly frowned.

"It was a last minute thing but yeah I do." I admit to him. He smiled softly and gave me a reassuring hug.

"I'm happy for you but this does mean your going to be working under me now," he started and a chuckle left my mouth.

"Guess so. Now if you'll excuse me I'd like to share the news with everyone."

He nodded and followed me into the common room where everyone is enjoying their lunch. "Excuse me guys I have an announcement to make!" I call. Their heads turn to me and wait for me to continue. "I have just joined squad 3!"

"Hey! Congratulations!" Cruz smiled.

"Congrats. If anyone deserves this, it's you." Brett smiled while hugging me.

"Nice work, but don't forget about the rest of us here on truck." Herrmann smiled while giving me a hug. I thanked them all before going to grab some lunch myself. Just as I'm finished eating we have to leave. There's a house fire and when we get there we see a little boy standing on the sidewalk.

He rushed over to chief in a panic. "Please you have to help my mom! She's trapped upstairs!" He cried out.

"It's okay, we got this. Just step back and let my men do their job." He assured the crying child. Kelly ordered everyone to do a specific job and told me to stay behind him at all times. I followed him into the burning home as we made our way up the steps. "Mouch keep that water going!" Boden yelled as we entered the house.

"Do you hear that?" Kelly asked me as we got to the top of the steps.

"Yeah it's coming from in there, lieutenant!" I pointed to a closed door on our left. He busted down the door where we found the woman trapped under a piece of the roof that caved in.

"Once I get this off her I want you to get her out of here! Do you understand?" He asks and I nod. Once she is freed I rushed her out of the house. As soon as we got to the front door the roof collapsed onto me. "Run!" I yelled at her. She did and that's the last thing I remember before everything went black.

Kelly Pov

A groan left my mouth as I stood up. The whole floor fell. My heart dropped hearing someone's ADSU (automatic distress signal unit) and knew it was y/n. I searched up and down until finding her body laying under a bunch of rubble. "Y/n!" I called but got no response.

The fire is only getting worse and it's going to take a lot more people to rescue her. There's just too much rubble and fire everywhere. "Severide, do you copy?" Chief yelled at me.

"I copy. Listen Chief y/n is stuck! I need more assistance!"

Moments later I see Boden rush in and help me get her free. Once outside Brett and Dawson rush over to help her. "She's got a pulse but it's weak," Brett informed. After getting cleaned up we all went to the hospital to check in on y/n and see how she's doing. The waiting made me anxious until finally seeing Will Halstead walk out and give us a small smile.

"She's okay, just a few broken ribs but she should be back to work in no time." He assured us. I thanked him and asked if I could see her. He showed me to her room where she lay, sleeping in that hospital bed. I sat next to her to wait for her to wake up.

"Mind if we talk for a minute?" Chief Boden asks from the doorway. I nod and step out into the hall for us to talk. "You and y/n...your dating aren't you?" He raised an eyebrow at me. Part of me was going to lie but I realized there isn't any use to.

"Yeah, we are but listen I-" I began only for him to cut me off.

"It's okay, I'm not here to bust you. All I'm worried about right now is her getting better. We'll talk later." He smiled. I thanked him before joining my girlfriend once again. Hours passed before her eyes fluttered open. It made my heart happy to see she's okay.

"Kelly," she whispered.

"Shh, your going to be okay. I'm here, always." My hand grasped hers tightly. She gave me the warmest smile she could muster up. I leaned over and kissed her head softly. I'm just so happy she's okay.