Brush of death »» Jay Halstead 🚓

Word count; 1086

The sound of glass shattering down on the ground caused me to shoot up in bed

The sound of glass shattering down on the ground caused me to shoot up in bed. My eyes were still heavy from the deep sleep I was just in. A frown formed on my face when Jay wasn't laying next to me anymore. Feeling confused, I hopped out of bed and made my way towards the living room. To my surprise the room is trashed, coffee table broken everywhere, couch flipped over.

The tv that used to be mounted on the wall is now broken on the floor beside the flipped couch. Worry filled my body as I rushed towards the kitchen in search of my boyfriend. Fear, horror, and panic washed over me seeing Jay on the floor with a gunshot wound in his chest. I rushed to his side trying to stop the bleeding.

"Jay, please don't close your eyes." I begged of him while calling an ambulance. As I'm trying to explain the situation, his eyes were slowly closing. I dropped the phone on the ground and continued to put pressure on the wound. "It's gonna be okay, I'm right here."

"Y/n," he whispered, his breathing becoming shallow. "I-I love you." He managed to get out. Just hearing that made my heart sink from my chest.

"No, no goodbyes." I cried. He grabbed my hand in his and gave it a gentle squeeze. Tears are flowing from my eyes and down my cheeks.

"Just incase I don't make it," he paused while letting a groan leave his lips. "I need to hear you say it back." His voice is all whispering at this point. Just by the look on his face it's easy to tell it's hurting him to breathe. I'm not sure who did this to him but when I find out, there will be no mercy. Such a sick and twisted person would have to do this to someone.

"I love you too, Jay." The words felt hard to get out. He gave me the best smile he could muster up as his eyes closed slowly. "No! Jay please no!" I begged him to stay with me. The paramedics soon came and I rode with them to the hospital. They had to intubate him in the ambulance due to him struggling to breathe.

Once getting there Maggie and Dr. Choi met us at the doors. They gave me sympathetic looks before rushing off to help my injured boyfriend. "Okay y/n I know this is hard but I need you to step out while they work." Maggie held my shoulders trying to pull me away.

"No, I can't Maggie. I need to be there for him," I cried out. She understood me but had me wait outside the room. A sudden thought came across my mind and I looked up at her. "Has anyone told Will?"

"I'll page him right now." She said then rushed off. Will is going to be devastated when he finds out the condition his brother is in. Less than ten minutes went by when I see Will rushing to my side.

"Where is he? Where's Jay? Is he okay?" He asked worriedly.

"I don't know. They won't let me in to see him yet." I told him. He had me wait while going in the room. Two minutes later he came back out with watery eyes. That definitely can't be good because I've never seen Will cry.

"Y/n...he, he needs surgery and the risks of him dying are high." He told me and my heart started racing like crazy. Of course I don't want anything bad to happen to him but he might really need this or he'll die. "What are you thinking?" Will asked.

"He should get it. I'm not risking anything or letting him die."

Will gave me a cautious look but nodded and they started taking him up for surgery. They let me follow but wait in the waiting room upstairs while they took him. To say waiting there in that uncomfortable little blue chair is hell would be an understatement. It felt like my heart is being torn to pieces waiting for him.

The surgery took hours before Dr. Latham and Dr. Rhodes came out. Anxiety washed over me as I stood and approached the two men. "Y/n," Conner gave me a reassuring look. "The surgery did have some complications but for the most part he's okay. If you follow me then you can come see him." He told me.

I thanked both of them for saving him then followed Conner to Jay's room. Relief filled my body seeing him okay and laying there sleeping. After filling me in, Conner left the room to give me some time with my boyfriend. I sat in the chair next to his bed and held his hand in mine, waiting for him to wake up. He did say the anesthesia should ware off in about an hour.

During that whole hour I sat at his bed thinking of what I'm gonna say after he wakes up. Still nothing came to mind so I'll say whatever comes to mind. I heard a knock at the door and turned to see Will. I motioned him to come inside and he did. He stood at the foot of the bed and watched his sleeping brother.

"Conner told me the surgery was a success. I'm so happy he's gonna be okay." Will let out quietly.

"Yeah me too. If anything were to happen to him I don't know what I'd do."

Will gave my shoulder a gentle squeeze then said goodbye and headed off to finish his shift. Some time passed when I noticed his eyes slowly starting to open. My heart started beating faster watching his eyes adjust to the light. He finally looked at me and let himself smile softly. "Your awake," I sat next to him on the bed.

"Yeah, thank you." He grabbed my hand in his. "I'm so lucky to have you."

"I'm the lucky one...I love you so much Jay. I really thought I was gonna lose you."

"But you didn't. Your stuck with me whether you like it or not. I love you." He assured me and I smiled. Later on some of his friends from the precinct came to see him and make sure he's okay. So much has happened and I'm more than grateful that he's okay. Like I told Will earlier...I have no idea what I'd do without Jay.