A Break »» Jay Halstead

There's an obvious frown on my face watching Jay grab his car keys off the small round table that sits by the front door. He just got home from work and looks like he changed clothes and got kind of dressed up a bit. The smell of his cologne filled my nostrils as I stand and walk closer to him. "Where are you going this time?" I ask slightly annoyed.

For a few months he's been giving me what I assumed is the cold shoulder. When I try to have a conversation with him he only gives me one or two syllable answers, he's always going out late and not telling me when he will be back. I've been worried about him and why he is acting so distant. One day it's like something changed in him. He used to wake me up every morning with breakfast or kisses or something sweet and romantic.

Nowadays when I wake up he is either off to work or gone. He told me everyday that he loved me but now I've probably heard him say it twice in the past two months. Part of me feels like he's falling out of love with me and it hurts to think about. I care so much about him and wish he would just talk to me. I'm lucky to even get one word out of him.

"Out." Is his only response to my question as he puts on some shoes. Like I said, one or two syllables.

"Wanna elaborate?" I roll my eyes. He shrugs his shoulders annoyed.

"I don't know just out. Why are you so worried about it?" He asks.

"Maybe because you're my boyfriend and I would just like to know when you'll be home."

"Y/n you've been acting weird lately. It's not any of your business where I'm going." He says and it's like all the anger from the last few months came boiling over.

"Me? I'm acting weird?" I yell. "You're the one who leaves almost every night and doesn't get home until like 3am. You barely speak to me anymore, and it feels like I never see you."

He grabs his stuff and gives me a cold glare. It aggravates me that he doesn't see where he is wrong. My jaw is clenched, my arms are crossed over my chest, and a glare on my face. "I've been busy...that's all." He says, his voice calmer than before.

"Are we drifting apart?" I ask, trying to hide the pain in my voice. He looks away, avoiding eye contact with me at all costs.

"The thought crossed my mind too." He lets out.

"I feel like I shouldn't have to beg you to love me or to stay...you should just do it. Maybe this isn't working anymore, maybe we should take a break." I say, blinking back my tears. He sets his keys back down and finally looks me in the eyes. We both can see the hurt in each other's eyes. It only makes this even harder.

"Taking a break always leads to breakups. We both know that." He whispers.

"I'm happy to see you're so optimistic." I say sarcastically. He gives me a sad look while running a hand through his hair.

"I'm sorry...I just don't want to lose you y/n. I know that I've been acting different lately and a lot of it has to do with work stress. But no matter what I will always love you. You're my person."

His words make me feel a little better but it doesn't change my mind because we still need some time apart. I want time to think and see if we're really meant to be together.

"I love you too Jay, always. But this isn't working anymore. I think I'm gonna pack a few things and stay with a friend for a few days." I say and he shakes his head no, stopping me.

"I'll go," he tries to say but I tell him how I can't spend another moment in this apartment surrounded by all our stuff. It would be too hard. He sadly watches as I pack some things and tell him goodbye before leaving.

This is for the best and I'm sure that by the end of this break, we both will have grown from this. He holds me in a tight hug before I leave the apartment. Hopefully not for forever.