Bundle of joy »» Jay Halstead 🚓

Word count; 1242

My eyes were squeezed shut as my hands rested against the table. Ever since waking up this morning I've been having sharp pains in my stomach. I'm nine months pregnant and Jay is worried that it might be labor pains. It can't be though because my due date isn't until next week.

Sure some women have their babies early but not me. This is my first child and to be honest I'm terrified. First thing this morning, Jay wanted to go to the hospital but because I'm so stubborn I said no. Plus there's a big storm coming and there's talk of roads closing. Who knows? "Everything okay?" A voice pulls me from my thoughts and I look up to see my dad, Sargent Hank Voight.

He's very overprotective of me and didn't like Jay and I together at first. But now he doesn't mind and knows that we're good together. "Yeah I'm good. I was just about to get back to work," I say just as another pain hits me. Son of a bitch this one is way worse than before. He grabs onto my shoulder while giving me a look of worry.

"No your not fine, y/n we're getting you to a hospital." He clarifies. I nod and agree with him just as Hailey walks into the room. "Roads are closed, storm is coming in quick." She says. I share a concerned look with my father. Just as I'm about to say something the pain becomes unbearable.

"Probably not the best time but I need to go to the bathroom," I told him.

"Okay Upton take y/n to the bathroom and don't let her out of your sight. I'm gonna go find Halstead." He said. Hailey nods and wraps her arms around me. We head into the bathroom when suddenly it happens. My water broke and I officially went into labor.

"Please tell me you just peed yourself," Hailey asks.

"I'm afraid not...this baby is coming."

"Okay just sit down, I'll call an ambulance and see how fast we can get one here." She says while pulling out her phone. My hand is rested on my stomach in hopes that the pain eases up a little. "Okay so the quickest they can get one here won't be for another hour or so." She says in an apologetic voice.

"This is crazy, I need to find my husband." I stand and start to go look for Jay. He was working a case with Kim but they should be back by now. "Is that a good idea?" She asks as she follows me. I ignore her question when seeing Adam at his desk.

"Have you," I stop and suck in a sharp breath. This baby is going to be the death of me. "Seen Voight or Jay at all?"

"No, are you okay?" He raises an eyebrow.

"She's in labor." Hailey informs him. His eyes widen and he begins to freak out.

"Did you just say she's in labor," Kevin asked shocked. Hailey nods and I seriously don't have time for this. My baby is coming and fast. I sit down and try doing the breathing exercises that Jay and I practiced together. It's not working and the contractions are close together.

"Hand me my phone off my desk, I'm calling Jay." I told Hailey. She nods and grabs it before giving it to me. I call him and thankfully hear his voice after the third ring. "Babe, where are you?"

"Burgess and I just got back, why?" He asked confused.

"I'm in labor." Is the only thing that came out before the line went dead. Shit.

"What did he say?" Kevin asked me.

"Nothing he hung up." I rolled my eyes from my convenient time to have a baby. They frown when hearing my answer and look around trying to figure out what to do. We hear running and see my wonderful husband rushing to me. "Oh my god, we have to get you to MED." Jay says panicked.

"Not gonna happen. All roads are closed and the closest ambulance is an hour out." Hailey said. He silently cursed under his breath then looked at me.

"Looks like we're having a baby here." He tries giving me a hopeful smile but I see the obvious worry in his eyes.

"Atwater you got a letter," Sargent Platt says as she comes over to us. "What's going on?" She frowns confused.

"Y/n is having a baby and we don't know what to do," Adam says anxiously.

"You guys are so clueless," she mumbles then looks at me with a smile. "Come with me. Your not giving birth in front of all these clueless men." She said. I follow her into my dads office with Jay at my side. She orders Hailey and Kim to get her towels and among other things.

"Jay I can't do this, I'm not ready." I panic. He grabs onto my hand and gives me the strongest smile he could muster up.

"Y/n you are the bravest woman I know and if anyone can get through this, it's you. I promise I'm gonna be by your side the whole time." He assured me. I nod and close my eyes for a moment.

"We're gonna need some help, get your brother on the phone." Platt told Jay. He nods and began calling Will. After filling him in Will told Platt what to do. Hailey and Kim came back with everything and offered their assistance. "Uh, Dr. Halstead she's crowning." Platt says to him.

"Okay y/n can you hear me?" Will asked me.

"Yes, I can hear you." I nod my head.

"Okay I'm gonna need you to start pushing." He said. I prepare myself as Jay squeezes my hand, showing me that he's here. With the help of Will and a couple of pushes later I hear crying and smile relieved.

"Congratulations it's a girl!" Platt smiled at Jay and I.

"You did it baby, we have a baby girl." Jay smiles excitedly. He leaned down and placed a kiss on my forehead before Platt hands me the baby. She's absolutely gorgeous and already looks like her dad. "She's perfect." Jay smiles as he holds her tiny hand.

"And she looks just like you, she's beautiful." I add. I hand her over to Jay so he can hold her and he immediately falls in love. Looks like I'm not the only girl in his life anymore. The thought made me smile.

"I swear to protect you for the rest of my life. My beautiful girl." He whispers to her as her eyes slowly open to look at him. A tear rolls down his cheek as he stares at her.

"What's her name?" Kim asked. Jay and I smiled at each other before telling them the name we agreed on. "Amara."

"It's beautiful." Hailey smiles. The ambulance eventually shows up and takes me to the hospital where my dad met us. He held her in his arms and loved her. He said that we gave him the most perfect granddaughter. Will visited as well and held her.

"She's amazing guys," Will told us and I smiled. "I just want you to know that uncle Will is going to spoil her." He teased making Jay and I laugh. How did I get so lucky to have the most beautiful family in the world?