Breakup »» Conner Rhodes 🚑

Word count; 913

His head is resting in his hands as mine is leaned against the headboard. Conner is sitting on the edge of the bed staring at the floor as my eyes look up at the ceiling, trying to hold back the tears building up. We just got into another huge fight only this one is leading to our ending. The breakup. It was bound to happen considering we've been fighting for months.

The room is deafeningly silent. The only sound that could be heard is from the ceiling fan going around in circles. My heart is breaking inside my chest as we both refuse to say the words. Because once we admit the truth it's over and we can't go back. The two of us have been dating for three years so you can see why it's hard for us to breakup.

Maybe we just weren't meant to be. That thought alone sent a single tear rolling down my cheek. I wipe it away and finally look over at him. He sighed and lifted his head to stare at the wall for a moment. It felt like forever before he actually turned towards me and stared into my sad eyes, his equally as sad.

"It wasn't supposed to be like this," his voice came out as a whisper. By the redness in his eyes and how puffy they are it's obvious he's been crying himself. "You...you were supposed to be mine for-" he stopped as his voice cracked. It tore me apart seeing him this way. Someone who I love dearly.

"I don't want to lose you, I don't want to lose this." I murmured. He nodded his head agreeing with me. We want to stay together and not breakup but this relationship is only growing more toxic everyday. Neither of us want to hurt each other so this is what has to happen.

For me personally I'd rather end on good terms than to hate him. Life is just too short for anyone to hold that much hate in their heart. I watched his gaze shift over to the nightstand and looked to see what he's staring at. It's a picture of the two of us from last year. We went to London for two weeks just to get out of Chicago.

That was the best two weeks of my life. We did everything imaginable there including sight seeing, experiencing the whole driving on the other side of the road thing and much more. He was scared driving that rental car because he didn't want to crash it. Thinking about it made me happy.

"Look how happy we were." I state.

"It feels like just yesterday, doesn't it?" He asked while looking at me and I nod, agreeing with him. It really does. After a long moment of silence he finally gives me his full attention. But says the words that I've been dreading to hear. "We should breakup."

There's so many emotions going through me at once right now. I'm angry that we didn't work out after thinking we would, and sad that I possibly lost the best man in the entire world. We've spent so much time together these past three years that I have no fucking idea what to do without him.

My heart belongs to Conner Rhodes and now it's been torn apart. Here I sit, vulnerable, broken, and sad. Wishing that we could have worked, that it didn't have to be this way. "I know but that doesn't mean this hurts any less." I reply with tears welling up in my eyes.

He moved closer to me before wrapping his arms around my waist and pulling me closer to him. We sat there hugging each other for what felt like forever until pulling away. He saw the tears rolling down my cheeks and wiped them away with his thumbs. "I love you so much y/n." He lets out.

"I love you too, Conner." I reply. Soon enough I pull myself together and wipe my face from any tears. We agreed that its best if we move out so he offered to leave. "You should stay, I'll go," I tell him. He starts to say something but I cut him off. "I can't stay here anymore, especially not without you. It's got too many memories."

"Okay," he nodded and gave me one last hug. I savored it before we pulled away from each other. After packing up what I could he walked me to the door. "Don't hesitate to call if you need anything, I mean that." He tells me.

"Thank you. Not just for saying that but for giving me the best three years of my life. For loving me as I am and being you." I say brokenly.

"It was no problem because it was the best three years of my life too." He smiles. Once saying our final goodbyes I leave and start my drive. God only knows where I'm going but I'm hopeful. Yes I'm sad right now but this has to get better. If Conner and I were actually meant to be then sometime in the future we will meet again.

Until that time comes we're separated. I'm going to grieve, eat crap tons of ice cream, or whatever it is you do after a breakup. Then I'm going to live my life depending on no one except myself, then hopefully in the future our paths will cross again.