Four Years »» Ethan Choi 🚑

Word count; 634

My eyes carefully scan the expiration date on the milk I'm trying to get and see it's good for another couple of weeks. I continue shopping after deciding to get the milk. It's been two weeks since my last time coming to the grocery store so it's long waited. I turn the corner and head into the cereal aisle. My heart stops when looking up to see Ethan. We had a short thing about four years ago but then I moved away.

For two years I lived in Texas but moved back to Chicago two years ago and haven't seen him since the fling. The breakup was anything but mutual. He ended things with me, claiming that he liked me but the feelings weren't there. It hurt considering I really liked him. We never ended on bad terms though. We weren't together more than three months. It was the shortest relationship I've ever been in.

Now here we are in the same grocery store picking out our favorite cereal. My heart raced slightly wondering if he will recognize me. Last he saw me my hair was short, slightly above my shoulders. Now it's long and down towards my abdomen. I've lost weight in my cheeks and have been exercising more.

He threw the box of cinnamon toast crunch in the cart then looked up. His eyes widen seeing me. I guess that answered my question of him recognizing me. He obviously did. I clear my throat while throwing a random box of cereal in the cart and head his way. He gives me a faint smile. It's faint but noticable. "Y/n." He breathes.

"Ethan." I reply.

"How are you? It's been four years if I'm correct." He frowns at me while moving out of the way so people could get through.

"Yeah your right. I've been good thank you. What about you? Are you still working at the hospital?"

"Yup. I am. It feels really good to see you. We should have coffee some time and catch up." He suggested. I nod and check my schedule.

"How is this Friday? Say 11am?"

He agrees and we carry on the conversation some more. Soon we end things and I check out then go home to put my food away. It didn't feel as awkward as I thought talking to him again. Hopefully Friday goes well and I'm not jinxing myself.

Friday

My eyes look up at the sign on the front of the building. "Coffee Cafe" it's a family owned small place but the coffee is so good. Might even be better than Starbucks and that's my favorite place to go. Sighing I walk inside but don't see him anywhere. I decide to get my coffee and a pastry then sit down to wait. Ten minutes go by and he walks in the door. He says hi then gets a coffee before sitting with me.

"Thanks for agreeing to this." He says. I nod awkwardly.

"It feels good to see you again." I tell him. "It feels like a century."

"Tell me about it," he chuckles. "Are you still doing the same line of work or something different?"

"I moved to Texas for a couple of years but came back here about two years ago. Now I'm working at a burger restaurant as the manager. It's a pretty nice place."

We talk some more until leaving but not before exchanging numbers first. He asked me to go out with him sometime. He said that we did it wrong the first time and doesn't want to make that mistake again. I agree and we still have to decide on where to go for our first date. I'm excited though, I still do really like Ethan. He is an attractive and good person.