One Year»»Will Halstead 🚑

Word count; 797
This will be in his Pov
I added a song to this one😊hope you like it

"Thanks again Mrs. Goodwin." A small smile on my face while hanging up the phone. I've called off work to handle some personal stuff today. For example today marks one year since the death of my wife y/n. It was strange because before her, my moms death was the hardest thing in life I've ever had to go through.

Then my soulmate dies and leaves everything in me broken. Feels like everyone in my life is leaving me which makes me grateful that I've got Jay. He really got me through this last year with helping me when I needed and whatnot. I'm lucky to have such an amazing brother. Her death came as a surprise to us all. It was unexpected and tragic.

I was working at the hospital and she was coming to meet me for lunch. That's when this car came out of nowhere, slamming right into her. The other driver was badly injured but he lived. I was angry for months that the love of my life had to die and he got to walk away breathing. When I got the call that she was in an accident it felt like my whole world just stopped.

Nothing seemed real at that point. Everything around me slowed as my heart pounded against my chest. It just overall has been the worst year of my life. I sighed and grabbed my car keys. I'm heading over to the cemetery right now to see her and put some fresh flowers on her grave.

Usually I'll put flowers on every two weeks but I visit her pretty much everyday. It's hard but I try to keep her grave clean and look good. She deserved the best in life and even after. On the drive there my mind kept flashing back through memories of the two of us. The thought of her made me smile and feel grateful for the time we did have together.

I shut off the car then got out with the flowers in my left hand. The walk always makes my heart ache. A sad smile made its way onto my lips as I approached her. I got rid of the old flowers in the trash can that sits under some large oak tree. The new yellow flowers look good and it's her favorite color.

"I know that if you were here you'd tell me all about those streets of gold and that your finally home. But dammit y/n I miss you so much. How amazing would it be if heaven had a number? Then your voice wouldn't be a distant memory in my head. It's going to take me a lot longer than a year to ever accept the fact that your gone." Talking to her really makes me feel better. Almost as if she's here to listen.

"Hey," I hear a voice and turn around to see my brother. He's got a sympathetic smile on his face and a bouquet of flowers in his hand.

"Hey, Jay...what are you doing here?" I ask while completely turning to face him.

"Just coming to pay my respects and I figured you'd be here. I know this past year has been hell for you and I'm sorry." He apologized. I thanked him before pulling him into a hug. Once pulling away he set the flowers down on her grave. "She was special." He said.

"Yea, she was." I agreed. For a moment we stood there, remembering her. Then I stared at her name on the stone, how every letter is engraved perfectly. It caused a tear to slip from my eye and roll down my cheek. Every single day of my life I still have to ask. How is she gone?

It feels like just yesterday she was here laughing at me because I burnt our dinner. Or rolling her eyes every time I made a stupid joke. "You know I never realized how many people die a year, even as a doctor. But coming here everyday for the past year and seeing other fresh graves is upsetting." I told Jay.

He nodded understandingly while looking around the cemetery, seeing a freshly dug grave. "It's sad." He replied. "Listen Will, I know I've said it a million times but I'm here if you need anything whether it be a favor or someone to listen." He assured me.

"I know, thank you." I gratefully smiled at my brother. We both said goodbye then left the graveyard. I glanced into the rearview mirror while whispering a sad goodbye to her.

"Until tomorrow, beautiful." I smiled as the graveyard became nothing but a distant view.