Someone else »» Connor Rhodes 🚑

Word count; 879

My elbow is rested on the desk as my hand is placed under my chin

My elbow is rested on the desk as my hand is placed under my chin. All I can do is stare longingly at Conner as he talks with some girl he's been seeing. We're friends, sure, but I want more than that with him. Only he doesn't see me that way so I'm left standing here like a fool. This feels like high school all over again when your crush doesn't like you back.

I'm an adult woman not some seventeen year old junior wishing her crush would just notice her. Although it's how I feel. I toughen up and finish up with a patient before sending them on their way home. It was a pregnant woman who says she is spotting and I gave her a check up. Everything was normal so I sent her home with strict orders to rest.

Now I'm taking a lunch break and sitting all alone in the cafeteria. Just as I'm finishing up Connor walks in. He gives me a smile as he goes to get his food. I suck in a breath watching him come sit next to me. "Hey, I feel like we haven't seen each other all day." He said while opening up the container that holds his salad.

A shaky breath leaves my lips as I begin to speak. Only I'm cut short by his girlfriend approaching with a smile. "Hi y/n," she greets me and I give her a nod. "Sorry to interrupt but I'm gonna have to cancel our plans tonight. They asked me to work late." She tells him. He nods and they finish their conversation before she leaves.

"I should get going. I've got a lot of patients to see." I sigh. Before I could stand he grabs my hand, causing me to sit and look at him.

"Is there something wrong? I keep getting this feeling that your trying to avoid me." He raises a confused eyebrow. I start to tell him but no words came out. It's not like I can just come out and say I like him because he's already with someone else. I take in a deep breath, choosing my words carefully.

"Listen Conner it's not you. I've just got a lot going on right now, I'm sorry." I say then rush off to end this nightmare. I'm ready to call it a day and go home but my shift doesn't end for another six hours. My job requires me to work from 6am to 6pm. Not complaining because it's a great job. My crush just seems to be getting in the way.

Soon enough the day does end and I start grabbing my things to leave. As I'm about to head out I bump into Will Halstead, another good friend of mine. "Hey, y/n some of us are going out tonight. You should join us." He says.

"Rain check. Sorry but I'm exhausted and want to head home." I smile at him. He nods and tells me to text him if I change my mind. Later after getting home I sit down in a nice warm bubble bath. It feels good to relax and let the day wash away. Music is silently playing from my phone, the lights are dimmed, and there's a few candles lit.

It's been a while since I've got some alone time for myself and it feels good. Afterwards I change and sit down on my bed looking for something to watch on my computer. There is a series I've been watching on Netflix so I turn that on and lay down. Just as I'm about to close my eyes there's a loud knock at my front door.

Feeling confused, I get up and make my way into the living room. Slowly I open the door to see a very distraught looking Conner. He's sweating and breathless. "What's wrong? Why are you breathing so heavily?" I ask him.

"It confused me...why you kept avoiding me. Or giving me short responses during our conversations. How you've been acting strange around me for the past two weeks. Then it all hit me like a ton of bricks. You're in love with me." He lets out. My heart stopped beating and it felt like my world crashed down around me.

"Cocky much?" I raise my eyebrow. He smirks and steps closer to me. His face is inches from mine and it made me lose all my breath. His hand cupped my cheek as a small smile appears on his face.

"Y/n I'm in love with you too." He says and before I can say anything else he connects our lips. It surprised me at first but eventually I wrap my arms around him and melt into the kiss. It felt like nothing else in the world mattered except us and this moment. I smiled into the kiss before pulling away.

His forehead rested on mine as he stared into my eyes. My heart has never felt like this before and I love it. "I love you." He whispers making my smile widen.

"I love you too." I reply. The world around us melted away as he pulled me into another long passionate kiss. This night couldn't have gotten any better.