A sad call »» Matt Casey 🚒

Word count; 938

We all got back to the firehouse after a devastating call

We all got back to the firehouse after a devastating call. A family of six died in a house fire leaving only one survivor, which was the baby. The parents and all the children died. My heart broke that we were only able to save the baby. She's only seven months old and now has no family. It kills me when we get called to these kinds of fires.

Matt slammed the truck door as he got out of the fire truck. Everyone watched as he stormed over to me. He thinks it's my fault for not trying to save the dad. In my defense I did try but he was already too far gone. Matt doesn't know this but the dads last words to me was to save his family first. That broke me inside.

"You," he points in my face. "My office." Is all he says before leaving the room. I sigh and look around to see everyone staring at me.

"Don't beat yourself up about it." Cruz says to me and I give him a small smile. My heart is beating heavily as I approach his headquarters. He is angrily waiting for me to enter. Once closing the door behind me his voice became suddenly calm. That scared me more.

"Explain to me why you went against my direct orders." He raises an eyebrow and stood there staring at me with his arms crossed. Words seemed to get caught in my throat as I try to think of a way to explain this to him.

"I'm sorry for not doing what you asked of me. But that man was already too far gone. My priorities were on saving that baby." I say. He turns away from me for a moment and lets out a breath. "Matt I'm so-" I start but he turns back around and cuts me off.

"No. It's lieutenant Casey. I can't believe you'd let an innocent victim die because you were so hell bound on saving one person." He glares. Anger is starting to build up inside me at his words and I couldn't hold it in anymore.

"You don't get it, that man asked me to save his family first because he knew he wasn't going to make it!" I let out, sadness washing over me and all the anger disappearing. His eyes softened and he looked at me sadly. I fight to keep my tears from falling so he doesn't see me upset.

"I had no idea," he whispered. "Come here." He wraps his arms around me and pulls me into a tight hug. A hug that I need and feel safe in. He gently placed a kiss on the top of my head. We pulled away slightly and he stared into my eyes. My stomach did a whole back flip when he tucked a piece of hair behind my ear.

He places his finger under my chin and forces me to look him in the eyes. "I'm sorry for the way I treated you. Are you okay?" He asks me and I nod my head yes while staring into his eyes.

"Yeah I'm okay thanks. And I'm sorry for blowing up on you like that."

"No need to apologize." He assured me. I smile and he slowly leans in closer, only inches separating our lips. Without another thought I closed the space between us and kissed him. He responded immediately as his arms tightened around my waist.

I pulled away and gave him a soft smile. "You know if anyone here found out about this, they wouldn't let us live it down?" I raise an eyebrow at him.

"So let them." He smirks and reconnected our lips in a heated kiss. This one lasted longer and had much more passion than the last. It sadly got interrupted by a knock at the door. We look over and see Chief Boden. Matt clears his throat and opens the door.

"How long?" He asked, referring to the two of us.

"No we-" Matt started but got choked up on his words.

"We'll talk later about this. Casey can I talk with you in my office please?"

Matt walks away with Chief and I head into the common room where everyone else is hanging out. I grab some water and sit down at the table next to Brett and Gallo. They have smirks on their faces as they stare at me. "What?" I ask then take a drink of my water.

"We noticed the way Matt has been looking at you lately. What's going on between you two?" Brett asked.

"Yeah what's the deets?" Gallo says and I playfully roll my eyes at the two. I smirk deciding just to mess with them a little.

"Okay fine I'll tell you. We've been seeing each other for the past couple of months." I say.

"No," Gallo smiles and I bust out laughing before standing to my feet.

"No we aren't seeing each other but that will be for me to know and you to find out." I told them and they grin at me. I work with the best people even though they can be so nosy. Later I ran into Matt in the bathroom as I'm washing my hands.

"Did everything with Boden go okay?" I ask him. He nods and comes over to me.

"Let's go out, on a date tomorrow night." He said and I turn to face him. I pretend to think about it then nod my head and say yes. He leaves a kiss on my cheek before walking away. Tomorrow should be fun.