Hard To Love »» Will Halstead

Word count; 610
Will pov

My hand gripped the phone tightly as the call went to voicemail. For weeks y/n has been avoiding me and I'm not sure why or if I did something wrong. We have been taking it slow the past three months. I guess you could call it dating but the two of us never labeled it. Suddenly when we start getting serious, she bails. At first my thought was that she is afraid of commitment or something but that isn't it. Right?

She won't take my calls, texts, and even goes as far as to avoid me completely at work. Sighing, I grab my stuff and leave for work. Hopefully I'll see her today at work and she will talk to me. But I'm not holding my breath. The first couple of hours at work she is no where to be seen until I leave a patients room and find her at the computer.

She didn't see me until I head over to the desk and put down the clipboard. "Hey," I say while getting onto the computer next to her so I can print out some discharge papers. The first five seconds she doesn't say anything until looking up at me and smiling slightly.

"Hi." Is her quick and short reply. It frustrates me that she won't just talk to me about what's wrong so instead of getting mad I calmly turn and look at her. "Can we please talk after work? I'd like to talk about things and see if we have any sort of future together."

"Sure. I'm sorry about avoiding you and acting like a child. But we should talk and I owe you an explanation." She says and I nod. Finally, we're getting somewhere. That whole work day went by real quick until we met up later that night at a small restaurant in town.  We get seated and order some drinks.

"How are you?" I ask her.

"I'm good thanks. How about you?"

"Good...well as good as I can be I guess."

The table is silent and it's hard to think of where to start this conversation. We definitely do need to talk though. "I really need you to know how sorry I am about the way I acted. But I've been avoiding you due to my own issues." She starts. I only nod and stay silent so I can listen to what she has to say. "I've had trust issues my whole life and getting close to people is hard for me. Every person I ever loved or cared about left. I was scared you would too. It seems silly but..." she trails off.

A lot of the past few weeks and such is starting to come together. I had no idea she felt this way. "It's not silly y/n. You could have talked to me. I'm not going anywhere and I'm certainly not going to judge you for having feelings."

"If it's okay with you I want to start over." She says.

I nod and give her a smile. " I'd love to. But next time you feel like this please talk with me first."

She agrees and we have a really nice dinner until leaving and going for a night time walk. We talked some more then went home. It was a successful date and I'm happy that we can start over and put this behind us. I'm also grateful she felt comfortable enough to open up with me and say how she was feeling. I want her to always know that she can come to me for anything. No matter the time of day.