Two Broken Legs »» Connor Rhodes

Word count: 626

"I'm fine," my head tilts back to look at my protective boyfriend. "You know that right?"

Conner only smiles down at me as he wheels me out of the hospital's front doors. I'm a detective at the Chicago Police Department and while working, the criminal we were chasing shot me in the leg. It caused me to fall down a steep hill, breaking both my legs. All my coworkers and my boyfriend have been great support. But I'm being released from the hospital today and Conner took the day off to help me out.

He wouldn't take no for an answer so here we are, as he wheels me to the car. I watch as he opens the car door and turns to me. "Why do I get the feeling you're going to be treating me like a baby?" I raise a playful eyebrow at him.

"Because I am." He smirks while helping me get into the car. I just smile as he puts the chair into the trunk and gets in. He turns the radio up and stops to get me some food that isn't from the hospital. Hospital food isn't the worst but it also isn't the best either. After we got home, I sat on the couch and propped my legs up on the coffee table.

"Are you comfortable? Do you need another pillow?" He starts asking and I laugh.

"Seriously, babe I'm fine." I try to reassure him. He nods and gives me a small smile.

"Okay well I'm going to make a quick run to the grocery store. Do you want anything specific?" He asks me. I just tell him to grab my favorite ice cream and he nods before leaving. After a while, my mouth starts feeling dry. I do the best I can to climb into the wheelchair before heading for the kitchen.

A frown forms on my face realizing that the cups are in the cupboard above the counter. An idea comes to mind and I grab the broom before opening the cupboard with it. I start to slide one of the cups out so I could catch it but didn't realize there were two glass cups in front of it.

They all come crashing down around me, glass getting everywhere. "Well that was stupid." I mumble. As I'm trying to get all the glass cleaned up, I hear the front door. Connor enters the room and sees the mess I'm trying to clean up.

"What happened? Are you okay?" He asks while setting the bags of groceries down.

"I'm fine. Just a stupid accident." I sigh. He takes the broom from me and cleans up the mess. Later he joins me on the couch and I explain to him that I'm stupid and was trying to grab a glass.

"You could have waited until I got home." He smirks at me.

"Maybe not, I could have died of thirst." I joke and he chuckles before wrapping his arms around me.

"This is why you should let me take care of you." He says.

"I know but I'm so used to being independent that it doesn't feel right having to rely on other people. Sounds stupid I know-" I say and he shakes his head no.

"It's perfectly normal to wanna be independent but some times it's also good to realize you need help."

I smile and kiss his cheek while agreeing with him. Everyone needs help every once in a while. I'm grateful to have him and wouldn't trade it for the world. He's good to me and I truly don't deserve him.

"I love you." I say while resting my head on his chest. He holds onto me tighter.

"I love you too."