Late Night Anxiety »» Jay Halstead 🚓

Word count; 726
Jay pov

My eyes opened from a seemingly deep sleep. Every so often the sound of groans fill my ears as y/n's hand keeps hitting me in the face. Looking over next to me, she's tossing and turning as a whimper leaves her lips. It's pretty obvious that she's having a nightmare. This is where I'm confused. For the last two weeks she's had the worst insomnia.

Her anxiety keeps getting worse and leaving her up at night. The doctor put her on medication but it barely helps. Tonight is the first time she's actually slept in a while. I hate to wake her but I also don't want her to suffer either. Whatever dream she's having seems to be causing her distress and that's the last thing I want for her.

Finally making a decision, I sit up and turn to face her. My hand rests gently on her shoulder and shakes her awake. At first she wouldn't wake up until her eyes shot open and she sucked in a sharp breath. She looked confused until seeing my face then relief fills her eyes. I'm happy she isn't having that nightmare anymore but I hate that I had to wake her.

"Jay." She whispers my name so very quietly. I grab her and pull her body into mine. She rests her head on my chest as my arms are wrapped tightly around her, showing her that I'll always protect her. Y/n is my whole world. There is nothing I wouldn't do for her. Since she has bad insomnia, I'll stay awake with her for as long as she needs me to.

The clock on the nightstand reads 2:28am. Her body is still tense and I can practically hear her heart racing. Without her having to say a single word I know she's having a panic attack. But she doesn't want to say anything. She doesn't have to. I'm here. "Just breathe." I mumble in her ear. "It's gonna be okay. You're gonna be okay."

"I don't know how to fix this." She lets out breathlessly.

"Nothing's broken. Nothing needs to be fixed. Do you hear my heartbeat?" I ask her and she says yes. "Just focus on that."

She slowly starts to calm but not fully. "You don't have to be alone, okay? I'm not going anywhere."

She takes deep breaths to calm herself and I can feel her body calm in my arms. She finally goes back to her normal breathing and I sigh. "Do you want to talk about it?" I ask her. She shakes her head no and so I just hold her.

"Thank you for helping me through that, Jay. I really needed that. I'm just scared I won't be able to fall back asleep." She tells me.

"I'll stay awake until you fall asleep. Do you want your medicine or do you think that will help?"

"No. I want to try falling asleep on my own but thank you." She replied. I nod. We lay there for another hour until I hear soft snores coming from her mouth and smile to myself. I'm so happy she fell back asleep. "I love you so much, beautiful." I whisper knowing she's asleep and won't hear me.

"I'm always gonna protect you. I'm always going to be there for you no matter what. I don't know what I'd do without you in my life." I say. She means so much to me and I try to show her that everyday we're together. She deserves the world and more.

The next morning after waking up, I found her in the kitchen making breakfast. A smile appears on my face seeing her while sitting at the table.  "Good morning." She chirps happily. My favorite mood to see her in.

"Good morning. What's all this?" I frown.

"Breakfast and a thank you for being there for me last night. You're the world's greatest boyfriend."

"Well you're my girlfriend and it's my job to make you feel safe and protected. I'll spend the rest of my days making sure you're happy." I smile. She blushes and thanks me before handing me a plate of food with a kiss on my lips. Having breakfast with her is the best way to start my day. And I wouldn't have it any other way.