•3• Test of Salvation

Karen

I was released that night around midnight from jail and had to call Twinkie to come pick me up. I could have called Dorinda or Jacky, but I needed rational at the moment.

"Karen, are you okay?" Twinkie asked.

"Honestly? No. I'm not. I'm trying really hard to be, but I'm not. Dave shouldn't be in there. He sold his soul so that I could live."

"What does that mean?" Twinkie asked.

I sniffled as tears came to my eyes.

"He made a deal with the cops and told them that he would stay and cooperate if I got to leave. They took it and ran with it because they wanted him anyway.  Now I'm here and I don't know what to do." I cried.

"Okay, listen.... listen. Knowing Dave he probably has a plan. He promised that he wouldn't leave you again and I'm sure he meant that. He told you everything would be fine didn't he?"

I continued to cry as I looked out the window. Feeling Twinkie grab my hand, I exhaled releasing a shaky breath.

"Didn't he?" Twinkie asked.

"H-He did." I sniffled.

"Okay, so believe him. Trust him. I know that this is a stressful situation, but you are too pregnant to be stressing out. Since he has a plan we're going to make one too. You have money Karen. We all do. So, this is what we're going to do. We're going to bail him out, then get him the best lawyer in Detroit. You told me what happened when you two got arrested. Those officers did nothing by the book so they have no case. You don't have anything to worry about. Do you hear me?"

Nodding my head, I inhaled and exhaled as I continued staring out the window.

Twinkie took me home then stopped at the driveway.

"Do you have your keys to your new car?"

"Yes, they're in this bag. Why?" I asked.

"Give them to me."

I decided not to fight about it. Instead I went into my evidence bag, grabbed my keys, and handed them to her.

"What are you about to do?"

"I'm giving your keys to Kai and he will drop your car off in the morning. I know you're tired and haven't gotten any rest. So, I want you to go in the house, take a nice hot shower, put on something comfortable, then get in the bed and go to sleep. Don't worry about Dave. Don't worry about the kids. I will work on getting a lawyer for Dave. I just want you to relax and rest." Twinkie said.

"Thank you Twink. I love you."

"I love you too." I hugged her before getting out her car.

Walking to the front door, I went into my evidence bag and grabbed my keys to the front door. Once it was unlocked I went into the house and headed straight for the shower. I sat the evidence bag down on the dresser and began stripping out of my clothes.

As I got in the shower and let the steam from the hot water engulf me fully I thought about the fact that Dave was no longer here with me. He should've been here. Twinkie told me not to worry but all I could think about was my baby being held captive in that prison.

Wiping the tears that fell from my eyes, I sniffled. I couldn't help but be sad. I missed my husband. Once I finished washing myself I got out and wrapped my naked body in a towel. I dried off then put on a nightgown before getting in bed. Burying my face in my pillow, I began to cry softly. Before long I heard the door open and felt my bed dip on both sides. Feeling arms wrap around my arm and waist, I looked up to see my daughters embracing me in my bed.