Chase And Tundra

5:30 PM

Even though it was dark outside, most of the pups decided to head out and have some fun in the snow, or go shopping for gifts.

Chase on the other hand was asleep, hoping to get some rest and be woken up later. He slept for what felt like less than an hour before he felt a paw lightly tapping his nose. Chase twitched his nose, nudging the paw away, hoping that whoever was waking him up, would get the message that he wanted to sleep more.

But, that wasn't enough as he felt the taps once again. This time, Chase's nose twitched even more, but that didn't stop the light tapping.

"Ugh." The German Shepherd groaned as he got up and glanced to his side and looked at the one who was taping him, Tundra.

"What is it, Tundra?" He asked in a tired and annoyed tone. The Husky seemed surprised by the pups actions and frowned at him.

"Geez, sorry." She sarcastically apologized and rolled her eyes. Chase only sighed.

"Sorry, so is there something you need?" Chase apologized this time, acting a little nicer. Still though, this wasn't how Chase would respond or talk, so it kind of caught Tundra off guard.

Well...he's changed ...a bit Tundra thought and opened her mouth to speak.

"Nothing really, I just wanted to talk to you for a bit." She said as she sat down. Needless to say, Chase seemed a little surprised by her response, but he already knew that it was gonna be a bit difficult to make her leave. She can be a little stubborn at times, a little more than the rest of the pups.

"Uh, okay?" Chase only responded as she sat up.

"So, how're you feeling?" Tundra started.

"I've been better before. But so far, it's okay." Chase explained and Tundra nodded.

"No offense, but I thought you'd be hanging out with Rocky." Chase expressed himself honestly, now surprising Tundra who began lightly blushing.

"Huh? W-Why would you think that?" She stuttered a little bit. The German Shepherd rolled his eyes as he could already see Tundra blushing at the mention of Rocky.

"Never mind." Chase whispered in a sigh. Tundra shook her head and got her focus back.

"Hey, I hope you don't mind me asking, but where are you parents?" She asked. Chase felt like she would ask that kind of question, and luckily, he lied many times before for an answer.

"They're busy at work, so they couldn't make it." He lied once again. Tundra only responded with an "Oh". Awkward silence filled the two. Tundra really wanted to ask why Kushina and Edan were nuzzling the shepherd the other day, but felt like she needed to hold off on that question.

"So, I heard you guys were playing Secret Santa. Who have you got?" Tundra then asked in a teasing grin, making Chase look at her in confusion. Since she added an odd number to the list of people and pups, it seems like she won't be participating, so he didn't mind answering.

"Skye." Chase only shrugged, and Tundra got excited as she heard her best friend's name.

"Ooooh! Nice, so what're you gonna get her?" She asked in an excited tone, as she knew that Chase had a huge crush on the small Cockapoo. But, she hasn't stuck around long enough to see how much Chase has changed.

"Dunno, once I get better, I'll see what's at the mall." Chase shrugged, now Tundra was super surprised. Normally, Chase would jump and start stuttering and would overthink a gift for Skye. But he acted like he didn't care. Okay, now something's seriously wrong The Husky immediately thought

"I thought you'd be more excited." She pointed out and Chase looked at her once again.

"Why?" He asked with clear confusion, now surprising Tundra even more, as if it was an actual question.

"Well, to be honest, you always had a crush on her, right?" She asked, hoping that he still did, because honestly, she always thought Skye and Chase were made for each other and they looked cute together. It was obvious to everyone that the German Shepherd had a thing for the pink pup.

"Used to." He responded back and Tundra felt her jaw drop to the ground and her eyes widened. She couldn't believe what she just heard. USED TO!? She screamed in her mind, just then, she watched as Chase pulled the blanket off of him and stood up perfectly. She then watched as the pup with the black hoodie began walking towards the doors.

"W-Wait, where are you going?" She asked and Chase glanced back at her.

"I'm going for a walk. I need some fresh air." He answered and Tundra quickly stood back up.

"Hold on, Katie said you should still stay in bed. You can't just walk out, you know how she'll get." Tundra said as she shivered a little bit as Katie can become a little strict, especially when somebody doesn't want to rest when their body needs to.

"I feel fine. It doesn't hurt to take a little walk." Chase sighed and rolled his eyes once again. Tundra wondered if she should let Chase walk out, but she already let him walk past the doors. Geez, what's up with him? She asked herself and quickly ran up to the shepherd and stepped right in front of him.

"Okay, but if you're gonna go for a walk, then I'll have to come with you." She said, now surprising the shepherd.

"What? Why?" He asked in a little whiny voice.

"First of all, it's dark out. Second, if anything happens to you, I'm gonna be here to help you out." Tundra said, acting like a big sister. The German Shepherd didn't have a problem with the Husky, but he would rather go on these walks alone now.

"Okay, fine." Chase sighed in defeat as he walked past her and Tundra followed.

She felt like she should stop him, but his actions so far have surprised her and she was hoping that with this walk, she'll find out more about what happened to the shepherd that caused him to change this way. 

But, in the end, he was getting better and he did need some fresh air after being cooped up in the Lookout.

And with that, Chase and Tundra walked towards the town.