PAMELA POV

Joe is in the intensive unit. Maverick and I grab each others hand.
"Hey Pam." His voice is quiet, fallen in mourning.
"Pam Aliana was in the library with us. So was Abelle." My hand squeezes his tighter. "Do you have either of their numbers?" He asks.
I shake my head.
"There was a kid, he was disabled pretty bad. I think his name is Joseph. Do you have his number?"
I shake my head again, I'm shaking all over.
"Pam, will you stay with joe? I want to go help tell the parents. I don't want them to have to wait for the news to find out if their kid is dead. They'll need help identifying the bodies." Another sob wracks my body. The bodies. Those poor poor children.
I nod.
"Yeah, I'll keep him safe."
He gives me a hug.
"Thanks Pam." I watch as he gets up, and walks down the hall. I sit, and watch the people rushing to and fro in a panic. There was at least one bomb and at least two shooters. There's a lot of people who are about to come through those doors.
I'm sure parents are. Other students.
The door to the intensive care unit opens.
The stretcher holding joe is rolling by. I get up to follow. They roll him to a room down the hall.

"Can I wait with him?" I ask one of the nurse's. She looks down at my shirt and then at the stretcher.
"Yeah," and a wave of relief passes over me. I sit in the chair next to Joe.
I watch his peaceful face as he sleeps. His blond hair brushing his forehead. His impossibly long lashes. He's stunning, like an angel.
And slowly he opens his eyes. A breath I didn't know I was holding escapes my lips, and a sob I didn't know I had left racks my body.

I cover my face in my hands, burying everything I'm feeling into them.
"Pamela," his voice is low and broken.
I shift my hands so I can see through my fingers.
He puts his arms out.
"Come here," I can't help it. My arms reach out and wrap around him.
"I just... all I could think...You just...I thought maybe you had...but I...all those others and I just...why—"
"I know what you mean," his soft voice is in my ear. He pulls my head down.
"I'm right here. I'm not going anywhere." He brushes a hair from my eye, and that's when I lean forward and kiss him. I feel a hand weave into my hair and pull me into him.