The Sorting Ceremony

Hermione's POV

We walked through the huge double doors and saw four long tables with students sitting either side and above us were candles floating in the air underneath what appeared to be the night sky but I knew it actually wasn't.

"It's not real the ceiling." I said. "It's bewitched to look like the night sky I read about it in....."

"Hogwarts a history." Y/N said. "One of my favourite books."

I smiled at him as Jasmine smiled and shook her head.

McGonagall then stopped us at the front of the hall where a single stool stood along with a ragged hat sat on top of.

"Will you wait along here please? Professor Dumbledore would like to say a few words." McGonagall said.

The man with a long beard and half-moon glasses stood up and began to speak

"I have a few notices I wish to announce. To the first year's please note that the forest is strictly forbidden to all students. Also, our caretaker Mr. Filch" Dumbledore said as he gestured to a man with a cat that had strange eyes because they were red. "Has asked me to remind you that the 3rd floor corridor is out of bounds to all those who wish to not die a painful death. Thank you." He said as he took his seat once again.

"Well at least he got straight to the point." Y/N said.

We looked at the hat as it opened what appeared to be its mouth.

"Oh you may not think I'm pretty,
But don't judge on what you see,
I'll eat myself if you can find
A smarter hat than me.

You can keep your bowlers black,
Your top hats sleek and tall,
For I'm the Hogwarts Sorting Hat
And I can cap them all.

There's nothing hidden in your head
The Sorting Hat can't see,
So try me on and I will tell you
Where you ought to be.

You might belong in Gryffindor,
Where dwell the brave at heart,
Their daring, nerve, and chivalry
Set Gryffindors apart;

You might belong in Hufflepuff,
Where they are just and loyal,
Those patient Hufflepuffs are true
And unafraid of toil;

Or yet in wise old Ravenclaw,
if you've a ready mind,
Where those of wit and learning,
Will always find their kind;

Or perhaps in Slytherin
You'll make your real friends,
Those cunning folks use any means
To achieve their ends.

So put me on! Don't be afraid!
And don't get in a flap!
You're in safe hands (though I have none)
For I'm a Thinking Cap!"

The hall burst in cheers as McGonagall then stood up and came forward to us.

"Now when I call your name, you will come forth, I shall place the hat on your head and you will be sorted into your houses."

I watched as McGonagall unrolled a roll of parchment.

"Susan Bones!"

We watched as a girl made her way up front and the hat was placed on her head.

"Hufflepuff!" The hat shouted.

We watched as many of the other students were sorted before McGonagall called out.

"Hermione Granger!"

"Oh no I'm not ready for this." I said in my head before I felt a hand on my arm and turned around to see Y/N had his hand on my arm.

"Hermione you are ready relax." Y/N said with a smile which caused me to blush but I also was wondering how did he know what I was thinking?

"Okay relax." I whispered to myself.

I walked towards the stool and sat on top of it as the hat was placed on my head. The hat gave out lots of um and ahs before it seemed to have settled on a decision.