The Half-Blood Prince and End Of 6th Year

Harry's POV

I stood on the balcony with Dumbledore ready to leave to search for the Horcrux.

"Sir I thought no one could apparate in or out of Hogwarts?" I asked as he smiled at me.

"Ah but being headmaster comes with certain privileges Harry." Dumbledore said with a smile. "Harry please take my arm."

I took a hold of his arm and a moment later we apparated near a cave with a towering cliff over it. I stared into the cave before I looked at Dumbledore.

"It's in there isn't it?" I asked him.

Dumbledore nodded as looked deeper into the cave.

"What is the form of the Horcrux?" I asked.

"I believe it to be a necklace." Dumbledore replied as he stroked his beard. "But we must pass to obtain it and more importantly find a better way to destroy it."

Dumbledore held out his arm and I took it again and we apparated into the cave. As I looked around it I noticed that it seemed familiar somehow. We walked further into the cave with Dumbledore and I using Lumos to light our wands to see the jagged edges on the cave walls. Dumbledore walked around and ran his hand over a wall of the cave whilst looking around.

"Yes this is the place." He announced. "This place has known magic. Where you stand is once where Tom Riddle stood many many years ago, when he was but a poor orphan boy with a penchant for cruelty...."

"He was here then Tom?"

"One wintery afternoon, he lured two younger classmates to this cave. What happened is unclear. But what is known is that the children were damaged."

As Dumbledore continued to study the rock wall next to him I looked over at where he was running his hand thinking on what Tom could have done to the two people he brought in here with him.

Dumbledore opened his eyes and pulled up his sleeve before drawing a dagger and cutting his hand. As he did blood oozed onto the wall and crumbled before us.

"SIR!" I shouted as the blood continued to spill from his cut hand.

"In order to gain passage." Dumbledore said solemnly. "Payment must be made, payment intended to weaken any intruder."

"Sir you should have let me." I said shocked at what he had done.

"Oh no your blood is more valuable and precious than mine."

We entered the arch way to see a find a lake with mist surrounding it with a small island in the middle of it that gave off a faint green glow. Dumbledore stretched out his hand and a green chain appeared in his hand. The chain slithered through his hand and a small boat which was also glowing green emerged from the lake.

"Ah it is only designed for one adult fortunately Harry with you being underage I do not think that the magic placed on this boat will detect that." Dumbledore said.

As Dumbledore and I got into the boat it started to move on its own. I looked into the lake to see something that disturbed me.

"Professor there are bodies in the lake."

"Yes indeed there are Harry." He said as we both stepped out of the boat and onto the island.

We approached the basin that was in the middle of the island that was filled with a strange liquid. Dumbledore stretched his fingers towards the liquid but could not touch it.

"Do you think the Horcrux is in there sir?" I asked.

"Oh yes." Dumbledore replied as he picked up a goblet that was besides that basin.