4.7.4^

Chapter Seventy-One: As Long As We Win

"Ain't nobody gotten through to me, nobody else but you to me, nobody else can turn me out inside myself."

~crash&burn by Bea Miller ft. O'neill Hudson

⭒⭒⭒

Warnings: abuse, addiction, anxiety, biphobia/homophobia, depression, domestic violence, slight eating disorder, language, panic attacks, sexual harassment/assault/abuse, violence, and other mature themes

A/N: Was I planning on updating today? No! Surprise to both of us:)

Also, I totally edited this with a headache so uhm I hope it's all right.

⭒⭒⭒

Zion's POV

"I wish I knew all the constellations like you do," I look up at the night sky in awe.

"You say that every time we come out here," Dad chuckles. "You just need to make time to learn."

"I know that one is the Big Dipper," I point slightly to the right of us in the sky.

"It sure is," my dad nods proudly.

We sit in silence another moment and just stargaze. The moment is peaceful and pure and my heart is full. There's something so magical about our backyard.

"I'm really glad we could do this again," I admit.

It's been a week since he was diagnosed with stage four. The survival rate is less than fifteen percent over five years. The doctor was honest with us and said he isn't sure how many days, weeks, months, or years we have left with him. All we know is that his condition is worsening and he wants to spend as much time with me as possible.

"You can always count on the sky," he smiles as he tilts his head up from his wheelchair.

He's on oxygen now and is wired in, so he can't travel without it and he can't walk anymore; it's safer this way.

"Look up and remember me, okay, Star?"

I look out to the stars as I remember the memory. I sit on the beach, surrounded by sand, as the moon reflects on the water.

"It felt good to tell you everything, Dad," I admit as I wipe my tears.

What I just let out into the universe was between me and him; it was healing.

"I miss you everyday and I hope you know that nobody, not Sensei Silver, not Sensei Kreese, nobody can live up to being you. You always saw the best in people and were so easy to talk to and always knew the best things to say. I hope that I can live up to your memory by being your daughter."

I remember what Sam said about those who have passed on never really being gone. I hold onto that and hope that maybe she's at least right about one thing.

The tide moves closer to me and washes over my feet for the first time. It's cold, but comforting. It prepares me for what happens next.