4.10.75^

Chapter Eighty-Four: Chozen Family

"...if you can't trust your mother, I guess you're better on your own. But, I forgive her, I forgive her so I can sleep at night 'cause I remember, I remember to not self crucify."

~self crucify by Bea Miller~

⭒⭒⭒

Warnings: abuse, addiction, anxiety, biphobia/homophobia, depression, domestic violence, slight eating disorder, language, panic attacks, sexual harassment/assault/abuse, violence, and other mature themes

A/N: The last chapter of this season... someone hold me while I cry...

⭒⭒⭒

Zion's POV

I exit the locker room and pass Daniel as he waits for his daughter. We look at each other a moment before I duck my head and continue walking. It's only a few steps before I see another figure beside the exit door with a cigarette in her mouth. She turns to me with a slight smile.

"Zion."

"Mom?" I stare at her like she's a ghost. She might as well be.

"It's so good to see you," she takes a step closer; I step back.

"Cut the bullshit," I tell her. I've built up walls. I've removed her from my life. She doesn't get to come back now. "No more games."

"This is your mom?" I turn to Daniel as he stands beside me and I see him staring at me in concern rather than angrily at my mom.

"This isn't your business," I tell him.

"Can we go somewhere private?" Janice wonders. 

I really don't want to, but something tells me she won't stop bothering me.

"I can't let you do that," Daniel objects. "You're my responsibility now. I don't want you getting hurt."

I stare at Daniel in surprise. He actually seems to care about me, even after everything. I cost them the tournament and he doesn't entirely despise me.

"Thank you, but this is something I need to do. I'll be back soon. Wait for Sam," I assure him.

He reluctantly lets me go as I let Janice walk in front of me. I refuse to turn my back on her.

We find another small room down the hall and I leave the door open a crack.

"Why the hell are you here?"

"I wanted to see you... and say I'm genuinely sorry," she begins.

"Save it. I don't need your apologies. The things you did shouldn't have happened in the first place," I tell her.

"I know."

"How'd you find me?"

"I got a call from Terrence Silver. He tracked me down and said he knew you'd be wanting me here today to cheer you on," she explains as a shock runs through my body.

That's why he was so smug.

"Then, I guess you're here to rip me away from everything?" I take in a shaky breath and try to control the intrusive thoughts. "You're going to ruin my life?" I expect no less from her or Silver.

"No, he told me what he wanted from me. I never said I'd do that because I don't want to ruin anything for you ever again. I'm not like that anymore. I've been working on bettering myself for me, for you, for us," she smiles softly.