1.2.0

Chapter Two: Eli Moskowitz

"This path is reckless. This slope is treacherous and I, I, I like it."

~Treacherous (Taylor's Version) by Taylor Swift~

⭒⭒⭒

First published around: mid October 2020

Revised: June 14, 2024

Warnings: abuse, domestic violence, sexual harassment/assault, language, violence, and other mature themes

⭒⭒⭒

Zion's POV

I walk through the halls of West Valley High School on my first day and feel invisible. I feel like any other girl in some cliche coming-of-age story. The sad thing is, I don't think there's any happy ending for me.

I wish I could find Miguel, but I don't even know his last name. I'm on my own here.

I have to be cautious of who I try to be friends with since I had so much drama at my last school with Gabi and Kayla. So, I keep my guard up for false friends and the boys from the mini-mart. 

Walking to lunch is chaos because the whole school descends into this tiny lunchroom all at once. I get shoved around and feel more lost and alone than ever. I have to keep my guard up for those boys, too.

Something changed inside me when my dad passed. He helped me through the drama at my last school with Kayla and Gabi, but I know that I can't go through it a second time, especially not without him. Maybe I can keep my head down for the rest of high school; I'm too scared to put myself out there and get hurt again. 

I scan my student ID card and try to hide the fact that I had to get a reduced price lunch from the other students. It feels like everyone here is rich. I feel like all their eyes are on me, judging my every move.

My heart begins to race when I see a group of boys being obnoxious on the other side of the cafeteria. It's the guys from the other night. I actively try to avoid them, so I walk between people aimlessly to find some place to sit.

"Zion!" a voice calls to me.  My eyes wander until they land upon Miguel. I sigh in relief. "Come over here."

I walk over to the table occupied by him and two other boys. They shift awkwardly at my presence and I give a weak smile as I sit beside Miguel.

"Thanks." I've been saying that to him a lot lately.

"So, you're new, as well?" the boy with a pale complexion and dark hair asks me.

"Yeah." I look over at the other boy, who keeps his head down and is silent. 

"We met in a fight," Miguel embellishes proudly.

"We were attacked," I correct him.

"A fight?" the one with dark hair asks me.

"Yeah. Was that karate you used?" Miguel continues to direct his attention to me.

"Taekwondo, actually, but it didn't do me a bunch of good," I frown. "I've only had a couple of self-defense classes."

"Awesome. I'm taking karate from my new sensei," Miguel smiles proudly. "He was the man from the fight."

"Wait, you know him?" I ask in confusion.

"I'm Demetri," the talkative one interrupts us. "This is Eli." The shy boy doesn't even get a chance to speak. "He doesn't talk a bunch."