Chapter 79: Take Us Seriously

Dinner was uncomfortable. It was not because of the noise. Lan Wangji had already known it would not be silent. He had become somewhat accustomed to Wei Wuxian's soft chatter during meals. Lan Wangji loved the sound of Wei Wuxian's voice. Particularly when Wei Wuxian was excited, or happy, or flustered. So even though he reminded Wei Wuxian of the rule, Lan Wangji had actually come to enjoy the warmth of Wei Wuxian's voice accompanying meals. The problem with this meal was not that there was noise, but the content of said noise.

At the start of the meal Wei Wuxian was trying to carry on like he had been on the training grounds. He was trying to pretend everything was normal. Lan Wangji hated it. There was something subtle in Wei Wuxian's voice when he was pretending to be happy. Something that Lan Wangji could not describe, but which grated on Lan Wangji like scraping porcelain against stone. Lan Wangji had the urge to silence Wei Wuxian's mouth with his own in order to make it stop.

As the meal went on Wei Wuxian began participating in it less and less. The other people at the table began to notice, glancing nervously at Wei Wuxian. Jiang Yanli began to direct the conversation more, and Lan Wangji was certain she was trying to take pressure off of Wei Wuxian. Lan Wangji was becoming increasingly worried. He knew Wei Wuxian was trying to avoid feeling guilty. That was why Wei Wuxian said he wanted to act like he used to. Wei Wuxian's growing quietness was a clear indication that this was becoming too much for him.

"Wei Wuxian, this isn't Cloud Recesses. There are no rules against talking while eating." Jiang Wanyin blurted out after several attempts to drag Wei Wuxian into conversation had failed. Wei Wuxian attempted to frown playfully.

"You act like I don't talk when I eat there." Wei Wuxian said in a mildly mocking tone.

"How do you expect to live under three thousand rules? You'll spend half your life copying the rules and kneeling in punishment." Jiang Wanyin scoffed. Wei Wuxian frowned, but didn't respond. "Have you really thought this engagement through? You're seriously going to abide by all those rules? Give up liquor? Eat that bland food every day?" Jiang Wanyin looked extremely skeptical.

Lan Wangji wanted to deck Jiang Wanyin in the face. Lan Wangji wanted to scream at Jiang Wanyin. He wanted to take Wei Wuxian in his arms and promise him that he wouldn't have to do all those things.

'I'll learn to cook. I'll let you drink in the Jingshi. I'll complete your punishments for you. I want you. I don't want you to change for me or GusuLan sect. I want you to be you.' Lan Wangji was feeling his own distress rising at the thought that Wei Wuxian might not have thought through the betrothal. What if Wei Wuxian really didn't want to live in Cloud Recesses? What if the rules suffocated Wei Wuxian's spirit?

"I'll figure it out. It can't be that hard." Wei Wuxian mumbled. Jiang Wanyin choked back a laugh.

"You just said you couldn't even follow the rule of not talking while eating!" Jiang Wanyin pointed out.

"Doesn't matter." Lan Wangji's voice cut through the tense atmosphere. Jiang Wanyin was looking at Lan Wangji incredulously.

"What doesn't matter?" Jiang Wanyin questioned.

"If Wei Ying doesn't follow the rules." Lan Wangji replied.

"How can..." Jiang Wanyin was interrupted by the sound of Jiang Fengmian clearing his throat.

"There's no rush in discussing such things. There is no wedding date set yet. There is plenty of time for Lan-er-gongzi and A-Xian to get to know each other and discuss any concerns they might have about the engagement." Jiang Fengmian said with a soft smile. The tone sounded like it was supposed to be reassuring, but it just made Lan Wangji feel angrier.