Chapter 142: After Battle Routine

Lan Wangji did not ask how Wei Wuxian is feeling. They were both exhausted, only standing tall as they travelled back to camp as a means of keeping up appearances. It's important, both for morale and for Wei Wuxian's safety. If they left the battle looking like they were ready to collapse it would feed rumours of Wei Wuxian being weakened by his cultivation. It may encourage the idea that Wei Wuxian is vulnerable after battle.

Lan Wangji had never needed to think about that before.  His lack of communication and overall demeanour had always given Lan Wangji an intimidating presence.  He always would have disguised his fatigue in order to keep morale up.  Lan Wangji knew that many younger disciples on the GusuLan looked up to him.  Not just them, if Lan Wangji's title was any indication.  '

Within the first six months of the war Lan Wangji had been given the title Hanguang-Jun.  Lan Xichen was thrilled with the title.  Lan Wangji was not certain he felt one way or another about it.  He didn't think he felt anything about it, until Wei Wuxian started calling him by it.  Wei Wuxian apparently adored the title.  It would fall from Wei Wuxian's lips with a bright teasing lilt that made Lan Wangji want to swallow Wei Wuxian's words whole.

Lan Wangji took a deep breath as he allowed himself to focus on the feeling of Wei Wuxian in his arms.  Lan Wangji  still found it strange that he had been given a title and Wei Wuxian had not.  Lan Wangji had always been with Wei Wuxian.  Lan Wangji was aware that he had made great contributions to the Sunshot campaign, but those contributions could not possibly amount to what Wei Wuxian was able to contribute with demonic cultivation.

Lan Wangji had felt slightly offended that Wei Wuxian was not receiving a title honouring his efforts in this war.  Like with most things, it was Wei Wuxian's assurances that he 'didn't mind' and 'it was better this way' that managed to mollify Lan Wangji.  Wei Wuxian seemed to be accustom to being treated differently.

Too often Wei Wuxian is the subject of rumours.  They range in scope and intention.  Some are fearful whispers that paint Wei Wuxian as cruel and monstrous.  Some of them are dismissive in tone as they denounce Wei Wuxian's capabilities.  No matter how negative or loud the rumours become, Lan Wangji does not miss the hungry gazes that watch Wei Wuxian.

Lan Wangji has seen the looks of certain sect leaders. There is a disturbingly lustful quality to some of the gazes that watch Wei Wuxian. In the early days of the war Lan Wangji had believed those looks meant that those sect leaders were lusting for Wei Wuxian in the way Lan Wangji lusted for Wei Wuxian. Lan Wangji had found it offensive that those sect leaders were gazing at Wei Wuxian in such a way with Lan Wangji, Wei Wuxian's betrothed, right there.

Lan Wangji understood why they might find Wei Wuxian so appealing. Lan Wangji had long ago fallen in love with Wei Wuxian fighting with Suibian. Wei Wuxian's movements as he wielded a sword had a grace and dexterity that left Lan Wangji breathless. Lan Wangji fell in love with the man who could fight with him across rooftops. Always a step ahead of Lan Wangji, turning their fights into a breathless dance. Lan Wangji still felt a breathless thrill at the notion of crossing swords with Wei Wuxian, but the charm and excitement of Wei Wuxian fighting with Suibian was very different from Wei Wuxian commanding resentful energy with Chenqing.

Wei Wuxian on the battlefield. His eyes glowing red, like burning rubies, as he held Chenqing to his lips. The black bamboo flute let out fierce and haunting melodies that commanded the resentful energy to action. Black swirling energy, like thick smoke, twisted around Wei Wuxian's form. Crackling sparks, like red lightning, flashed inside the churning clouds of resentment. As it shot out to animate the dead, smaller tendrils would playfully tease at Wei Wuxian's hair, and twist delicately around his ankles.