Part 84

He said automatically, "No. Not yet." He wondered why she was changing the topic. "I'll pick up something on the way back to home." 

Jena heard her saying, "Dinner is Lasagna and salad. And hokey-pokey ice cream!" And when the words emerged, her pulse raced, as she waited for his response. She bit her lower lip and could see the surprise in his eyes.

He blinked. "Are you inviting me to dinner?"

She reminded him. "I am willing to share my dinner with you! Plus, I am about to eat, and the thought of you watching me, does not suit my temperament!" Just a shame that her actions were not helping her with the friendship zone plan. "And you kind of look tired!" 

He laughed. She was right. He was tired. 

"Sorry, that sounds like charity, but, well, just a simple invitation." He smiled as he tracked her eyes. Clearly she was embarrassed. "Anyway, I am really hungry!" She rolled her eyes, "I missed lunch. My tummy is rumbling, and I do not fancy waiting for my dinner and have a discussion while you hear my tummy's rumbling!" She shrugged again and decided she should curtailed this discussion because she was rambling. "No strings. You are welcome to the Lasagna."

"Thank you." He shrugged off his jacket and draped it over the chair's back.

She put the lasagna on the table mat on the countertop. The salad was already on the countertop.

"You were going to eat all of that?" He teased.

"Yup!" She removed her oven gloves, and headed for the cupboard and retrieved a plate and cutlery.

"Really?"

"No" she chuckled. "I normally freeze what is left." She placed a plate in front of him.

He reached for the cutlery that she held out for him. "Thanks."

"Do start." She gestured at the table. She went to the cupboard and retrieved two glasses. "Water from the tap ok?"

"Yes. Thanks."

She filled two glasses. "We can eat here." But eating here, facing him, would remind her about the kiss. So she turned away and she lied, "But my plan was to eat my dinner sitting on the deck, is that ok with you?" The night light on the deck would mask her feelings.

"Yes. Of course." He stood beside her. "Thanks, again." He could not believe he was here, having dinner with her, despite the fact they were in the midst of an argument. And had not discussed the kiss.

"No problem. Do start. Unless you are expecting me to serve it. I will just put the water on the table on the deck." She escaped trying to avoid looking at him. Again, she just needed time to regroup her thoughts.  She silently said the mantra: Remember friendship zone, remember friendship zone....

She left and took the glasses to the deck. She took a long breath. Come on, Jena, she whispered to her, come on. You can handle this. She took another long breath. Then she returned to the kitchen, and saw him reaching for the salad and used the spoons to grab a mixture of lettuce, rocket, avocado, beetroot. Obviously this dinner was not scrabbling his thoughts, unlike her. Caleb looked over at her and smiled. "Slice of lasagna?" The butterflies in her stomach discovered flight. She nodded. He put his plate on the countertop and sliced the lasagna. She started to stock her plate with salad, and he placed a slice of lasagna on her plate. "Enough?" He asked with a smile.

"Yes. Lovely. Thanks." Just keep it short.

He took a slice for him.

"Right." She gestured him forward. "Grab a seat." He waited for her to take her seat.