Chapter 4- Chicago

Four days later Connor, Ava and Sophia all flew to Chicago together. Ava had gotten time off from work at Capetown hospital since she was travelling for a surgery. Ava and Sophia had both sleep soundly through 80% of the flight, only waking near the end.
Ava shifted needles in her seat, leaving over to kiss Sophia's head as she lent against her shoulder. "You nervous about the surgery?"
"Yeah something like that" Ava lies.
"Ava, the surgery will go fine, we've done this before. Your nervous about coming back to Chicago, which will also be fine. This was your second home for three years" Connor tried to assure her.
"It'll be strange seeing everyone again, after everything" Ava said, her had partly covering her mouth.
"Everyone will be happy to see you back at med. They all blamed me, rightfully so, for your sudden departure". Connor had remembered everything that was said in med after Ava hand left, that he had driven her out of the hospital and out of the country even after she had been cleared of all wrong doing. It took about six months before the nurses stopped treating him like a resident, and for Beth to talk to him outside surgery. Even though Ava had few friends in the hospital a lot of people had looked up to her.

*

The next day Ava, Connor and Sophia made their way to Chicago med. Ava and Connor were set to start back that day, and the hospital had offered Sophia a place in their child care.
"Okey bye-bye Sophia, I'll see you in a bit, your going to have a great time and make so many friends" Ava gushed holding Sophia tight.
"Bye-bye momma, bye-bye momma's friend" Sophia said stumbling into the play room of the creche.
"Hard goodbye?" Connor asked as they headed up to Goodwins office. "It's been me and her for years, I'll adjust" she said pushing open the door to the office.

"Ava" Sharron smiled, "it's good to have you back". He hugged Ava tightly before letting go.
"So I'm sure you remember from the last time, we need to separate the twins. They have a similar condition to Lily and Dot but not the exact same"
"The board did raise some concerns over your return, and how it would look for the hospital. But Dr. Rhodes assured that with your experience you would be the best surgeon to have on the case"
"They surgery will be two weeks from Friday and we have a team ready to start prep work" Conor nodded.

Just as Connor and Ava were about to leave Goodwin called Ava back. "Go ahead Dr. Rhodes, Dr. Bekker will be down shortly"
"Ava" Sharron said sitting down at her desk. "How do you feel about being back"
"It's eh, strange certainly, I never thought I'd comeback here. Especially not to this hospital, with everyone thinking I was a killer" Ava breathed nervously.
"Ava, no one here sees you as a killer. You were cleared of all wrong doing, although we don't know who killed Mr. Rhodes, everyone knows it wasn't you" Goodwin assured her.
"I'm glad to see you and Dr. Rhodes getting on so well, he wasn't himself for a long time after you left. He blamed himself your driving you away once he realised his accusations weren't sound"
Ava nodded, "I should talk to him, let him knew he wasn't the sole reason I left"

"How's the wrist been" Goodwin questioned, taking Ava right wrist into her hand.
"It healed well, I have full mobility in it, minimal scaring from having it reset" Ava smiled
"You did a good job at it"
Still holding Ava's wrist Goodwin met her eyes. "Dose he know?"
"No, not yet"Ava said shaking her head.
"And about our friend?"
"No" Ava said shortly. Before getting up and heading down to the OR with Connor