Chapter 10- The morning after

Ava woke up the next morning, light pouring in through the thin veil of curtain. Ava went to pull herself out of bed but two strong arms snaked around her hips pull her back.
"No" Connor murmurs, his eyes closed and voice thick with sleep.
"Connor Rhodes, did you just say no?" Ava chuckled in a mocking tone.
"To early" Connor groaned into the pillow, pulling Ava back to his chest. Kissing the top of her head, he held her close. It's was true that neither of them got much sleep, so Ava welcomes the extra few minutes they had together before starting their days.

Ava and Connor arrived at the hospital in separate cars, Ava had dropped by Goodwins to pick up Sophia. By the time Connor had made it to the doctors lounge Ava was already changing into a fresh pair of scrubs. "Morning" Ava smirked at him.
"Ave" Connor whispered into Ava's ears. Pushing her curls out of his way Connor peppered the back of her neck with kisses.
"How did you make it here before me" Connor asked into Ava's bare shoulder.
"Overflow car park" Ava replied pulling a fresh scrub top over her head. "Plenty of free parking spaces"

"Do you want to get lunch after your surgery today?"
Ava began making two cups of coffee as she though about it "No sorry, not today, I have a meeting"
Ava handed Connor one of the two coffee cups before saying her goodbyes for the day.

*

When Ava came out of surgery her heard a ping from her phone.

1 image attached: Hate to see you leave

When Ava clicked into the message an image of her and Sophia leaving the hospital the night before. Ava had her back to the camera but Sophia was on her waist, waving back.
Ava though about the layout of the hospital, and the angle of the photo, it had to have been taken by someone inside the hospital.

*

"Claire!" Connor called, seeing his sister come out of a board meeting.
"Connor, hi" Claire sighed giving Connor a quick hug. Their relationship had gotten worse before getting better. Claire blamed Ava for their father's death and was very vocal about it to Connor. She blamed him for bringing Ava into their lives, after Ava was cleared she was very quick to shy away, not speaking to Connor for weeks. After Cornelius's funeral the pair went back to their childhood home, now both orphans, they began to mend their relationship.

"Long meeting?"
"I don't know how dad was on the board for so long given his dislike of meetings" Claire laughed.
"I'm free now if you want to go get lunch together?" Connor offered
"No I'm meeting Russel, we're going to a fertility clinic"
Claire and Russel had been married for nearly two years but were struggling to get pregnant.
"Okey, best of luck sis" Connor said saying goodbye to her.

He went to turn down the hall to the canteen but a scene from the floor below him caught his eye. Ava was sat at a table on third floor balcony with Jay, Will's brother. She was leaning back eating a fruit bowel and laughing at something he had said. This was Ava's meeting?
Connor had never seen Ava and Jay be that close, they'd met at Will and Natlies engagement party but Connor thought that was it. Ava reached out taking a sip of her coffee and placing the cup back on the table, Jay caught her hand on the table and held it.

Connor and Ava hadn't discussed what they were, ot if they were anything, but he didn't expect Ava to be seeing other people. Especially not after all the teasing she gave him when he was sleeping around. Ava suddenly jerked her head to her hip as Connor did the same.

Multiple car pile up, CT needed

An: just a heads up I have exams starting tomorrow so their probably won't be an update for a day or two. I'll be back once the exams are over ❤️