Chapter 33- Claire

"Avery" Connor purred, running a hand down her arm. Ava was sat next to him on the sofa, reading a new medical journal on her laptop, looking up from her work she smiled to him.
"My sisters back in town after her business trip. Before she left, after Sophia was found she rang me to check up on how things were. She'd found out that I had a daughter and wanted to know if she could meet Sophia. I'm going to lunch with her today?"
"Of course, Connor. She's your daughter as well, and I did keep her all to myself for three years. You don't need to ask to bring her out" Ava told her, smiling at how thoughtful Connor was about her and Sophia, still trying not to over step.

"That's not all, I thought you could come with us?" Connor suggested.
Ava pauses thinking about the situation, Claire and her hand only met twice probably, the second time being at the Gala, where she wasn't exactly happy to see Ava.
"I don't know Connor" Ava said uncertainly. "Would she even want me there"
Taking Ava hand in his he kissed it, "You're my girl Ava, I want you to come with us"
Ava enjoyed the soft feeling her Connors hand in hers, feeling the rough and warmth of his skin. "Okey" she agreed, always giving in to Rhodes.

*

"Where are we going mama" Sophia asked from the back seat.
"We're going to meet your auntie, baby" Ava said softly to the backseat.
"Yay" Sophia cheered, even though she hand knew clue what that meant.
"Left, rights, right" Sophia called from the back seat as they drove, waving her arms.
"She's turning into a real backseat driver" Connor told Ava, slipping a hand onto her knee.
"Their doing directions in her class, she's practicing" Ava laughed, placing her hand on Connors.

Connor parked near the cafe and they walked up, Ava carrying Sophia in her arms. Connor slipped an arm around her waist, pulling them into his side. "You look gorgeous and I love you immensely" he told her, kissing her curls.
"Thank you for coming out with us today"
Turned her head to smile at him, "We're a family, my love" she reminded him, giving him a quick peck before heading into the cafe.

Claire jumped up at the sight of them coming through the doors.
"Connor" she gasped, hugging him. She was unsure if he was going to show up.
"And who is this princess" Claire asked, bending down to Sophia's level.
"My name is Sophia Bekker" Sophia told her confidently, holding out her hand to shake Claire's.
Claire's heart melted at this gesture as she shook her nieces hand, "She must get those manners from you Ava, theirs no way they came from Connor" she laughed as they sat down.
"Hey" Connor said playfully, joining his family at the table.
They ordered their drinks, Ava got a black coffee for herself and a baby hot chocolate for Sophia.
"Still not use to the weather again?" Connor asked, spotting how tightly Ava was holding onto the hot mug. "No, I never got used to it the first time I lived here" Ava admitted.
Claire looked at the imagine before her, her big brother had finally gotten himself a family that loved him. Smiling contently, "You make a gorgeous couple"

Ava smiled to herself, she knew they were many things, a family, colleagues, partners; but they were rarely ever called a couple.
"How's Russel?" Ava asked, taking a sip of her coffee.
"He's good yeah, away in Alaska, sourcing some new materials for the company. We've been trying for a baby, but with no luck. We did a round of IVF, but it didn't take" Claire pursed her lips.
"That's common enough, most couples get it on their second or third round"Ava gave her a comforting smile.
"But in the me a time I have this gorgeous girl to get to know" Claire smiles, stroking Sophias cheek. "Ek is lief vir jou tannie Claire*" Sophia giggled back at her.
"Jy is 'n slim meisie, net soon jou ma en pa**" Claire said, giving Sophia a biscuit from her plate.
"Jy kan Afrikaans praat?***" Ava asked in surprise, she'd never met anyone in the states that could speak Afrikaans.
"Can someone clue me in on what's happening here?" Connor was completely lost in the conversation.
"We had a trader in South Africa for a number of years. Always started his meetings in Afrikaans" Claire told her.
Connor smiled, seeing his sister and girlfriend getting along so well.

After hours of catching up with each other and getting to know one and other, Sophia was exhausted. Climbing onto Ava's lap she wrapped her arms around her and hugged her tight, falling asleep against her.
Ava rested her chin on Sophias head, looking over to Connor, she smiled to see him beaming back at her.
"Do they still not know who took her" Claire asked grimly, having not wanted to bring up the topic while Sophia was aware of it. Ava looks at her and shook her head stiffly.
"They think it has something to do with dads death. Some's targeting our family specifically, but they don't know why. There been no demands for money or anything, just non stop torment" Connor told her softly, keeping his voice down so others in the cafe couldn't hear.
"It's been quite the last week or so. I was receiving threading messages, but since I've changed my number we're been fine" Ava added, reassuring Claire that they would be okey.

Connor reached out and took Sophia little hand in his, "We should get going, get this little one down for a nap"
Ava handed Sophia off to Connor, he laid her against his chest, holding her with so much love. After saying their goodbyes to Claire they began to go their separate ways before Claire called Ava back.
"Ava I'm sorry for what I said about you the night of the Gala, it was wrong of me. I have no issue with when or who you decide to have children with, Connors right it's none of my business. I'll admit I wasn't overly happy to see you back in Chicago, but seeing how happy you and Sophia make Connor, theirs nothing comparable. He was lost for a while, became distant from family and friends, he's like a new man now that your back"
Ava smiles at the sincerity of Claire words about her actions on the night of the Gala.
"Don't worry about it Claire, I know you want to know what happened to your farther. You blamed me and I can understand why given the situation, it was certainly incriminating" Ava admitted.
Claire took Ava's hands in hers "Thank you for coming back into my brother's life"
The girls smiled at each other, happy to be getting to known one and other.
Saying goodbye to Claire, Ava walked to meet Connor at the car. "Where did you go?" Connor questioned seeing her come up the street.
"Did you miss me that badly" Ava said with a hint of sarcasm.
"Oh, desperately" Connor pulled her into him, wrapping his arms around her waist he gently kissed her. Ava broke away from the kiss, still staying in his arm, "Lets take our girl home"

"What were you and Claire talking about after I left?" Connor asked as they drove home.
Ava slipped her hand onto his knee, tracing short lines with her thumb.
"Just girl stuff"

*

"Hey Voight" jay called, seeing him come into the department.
"Got the tox report on the medical waste taken from the trash can in Cornelius Rhodes room" Jay haded him the report, staking his head.
Hank scanned the page before him, their lead had been right, this was all connected. Things were not looking good for the Bekker-Rhodes family.

————————————-
"I love you aunt Claire*"
"You are a smart girl, just like your mother and father**"
"You can speak Afrikaans?***"

A/n: so much for uploading every three to four days 😂. I can't help uploading more often, I love seeing all your reactions to the plot ❤️