Chapter 31- South Africa 🇿🇦

Connor, Ava and Sophia all flew back to South Africa two days later, they needed a break from Chicago, and to pack up Ava's house. They spent every minute together as a family, and packed up the house while Sophia played.
After donating or selling most of the things in Ava's house, they were just left with Ava's and Sophia clothes and personal possessions.

Ava said goodbye to her colleagues at Groote Schuur, Ava has become very popular with her fresh start, even getting to work with some old med school friends. While clearing out Ava's room he discovered that Ava had won a prestigious award for her CT work in London two years ago. "If only I had decided to go", Connor chucked to himself, "at least I have my girls now"

After a long morning of packing the three of them went down to the local beach to cool off. In the shallows Sophia was dipping her feet in as Connor and Ava watched from the shore. Ava was in a black bikini with the same sun hat from first meeting, leaning back on her palms.
"I see why you were always cold even in Chicago summers, this is heavenly" Connor commented sitting up to watch Sophia. "Mhm" Ava hummed thoughtfully, taking off her sun glasses off to watch Sophia.
Ava rolled to lay on her stomach, letting the sun kiss her back. Nearly falling asleep with her cheek on the cool sand, Ava felt something lightly press against her shoulder blade, then her back and down her spine. Ava recognised the feeling immediately, coupled with the hand on her side. "Connor" Ava flashed him a smile.
"We'll have to go to the beach more back in Chicago" Connor ran a hand down her back, done leaving kisses.
"Not a chance, I will not be caught dead in that freezing water" Ava exclaimed, rolling over.
Connor pulled her head into his lap, brushing her hair out of her face.
"Not even 63rd street?" Connor teased tickling her stomach.
"Not. A. Chance" she laughed at the sensation.
Ava and Connor were both giggling then, relaxing in the sun.
"I wish we could stay like this" Ava sighed contently.
"We could, if you want" Connor suggested as Ava turned to look at him, puzzled.
"Immigrate, stay here"
"No, no, no" Ava said taking Connors hand. "That's to much besides Chicago is home, for both of us" she told him.
"Are you sure, you just seem at peace here"
"Well I feel safe with my daughter here, but I'm not moving again because of this stalker. My parents are here but Chicago's my home, with you, Sophia, and my friends" Ava kissed the back of Connors hand.

"Ava why don't you have photos with any friends in your house" Connor decided to as straight out.
"Connor all my friends are CT surgeons, it's not exactly easy to find a day to go out for drinks together. They all work at east mercy and our ladies" Ava explained with a smile.
Connor nodded thoughtfully, kicking himself for having not come up with this solution.

Connor felt a palm slip on his cheek as Ava pulled his face to hers, "I love you, and I love our family" she whispered to him, Kissing each other passionately before getting interrupted.
"Momma I was a kiss too" Sophia called stumbling on the sand over to them.
"Of course my girl" Ava open her arms for Sophia as she jumped into them. Connor and Ava looked at each other before both kissing one of Sophia cheeks as she squealed with glee.
"My girls" Connor placed his hand on top of Ava's that was holding Sophia against her chest.

After another while of laying in the sand, Sophia asked Connor and Ava to come down to the shore line with her. "Of course Sofie" Ava kissed her forehead before getting up. Ava and Sophia walked ahead of Connor, hand in hand. Connor stayed back, wanting to take in the image of them so carefree and together on the beach. "Off you go sweetie" Ava encouraged Sophia as Connor caught up with them. Sophia waddled off into the sea, getting about hip deep. "I love the sea" Sophia cheered, waving her arms to go with the flow of the waves. Ava laughed, happy to be safe with her daughter again. She feelings strong arms come under her while she's distracted by Sophia. "Connor" Ava giggles as he picks her up bridal style.
"What's wrong? Don't tell me kick ass Ave Bekker, head of her school swimming teams scared of a little water?" Connor teased her, holding her close as he walked into the water.
Ava slipped her arms around the back of Connors neck, holding tight.
"Maybe I didn't want you to feel threaten by my amazing swim skill" Ava suggested in a matter-of- fact way.
"Oh was that it?" Connor probed playfully.
"Sophia do you think mummy should go for a swim?"
"Yes, yes" Sophia said, splashing the water around her.
"No, no, no" Ava chuckled, tightening her grip on Connors neck.
"Ah, it's two to one Avery, I think you know what that means"
"No, I'll be good, I promise" Ava pled, laughing as Connor tickled the back of her knee.
Planting a light kiss of Ava's lips Connor could taste the salt from them in her kiss, before letting her drop out if his arms into the clear water below.
"Rhodes" Ava shrieked, before landing in the water with a splash.

Ava reemerged a second later, throwing her head back out of the water.
"Did that cool you down Ave?" Connor asked while Ava wiped the salt from her face.
"Oh, tremendously" Ava whispered to him. Sliding a hand down his chest she pulled herself towards him in the water, snaking her legs around his waist, feeling weightless in the water.
Leaning in Ava kissed his as strategically as he had her, taking his breath away before leaning back into the ocean, locking her legs around Connor she took him with her.
Resurfacing and gasping for air the pair laughed.

Ava got Sophia dried at home and put to bed before returning to Connor. "Hey" he breathed upon seeing her, kissing her lightly. Connor handed her a bottle, finishing off the last of Ava's beers. Ava was still in her bikini but had covered her hips and legs with a sheer beach cover up.
"You sure you don't want to go to the beach In Chicago" Connor caught her waist in his hand.
He leaned in closer to her, inhaling her could smell the light remains of her lilac perfume mixed with the tangy salt from their impromptu swim.
"I wouldn't mind seeming you in this again" he kissed down from her neck down to the top of her beach cover.
"You'll just have to enjoy it while we're here" Ava smirked to him, pulling him into her room.