Chapter 69- Taking her home

Today was the day Mel and Ava we're finally coming home. Maggie, April and Nat stopped by to see them before they left.

"This is Amelia" Ava said proudly, broadly smiling as she showed off her daughter.
"Oh she's so cute" April bent down to say hi to the baby. As she got closer Amelia reached up to grab at April's curls, even in her new shorter style.
"Sorry" Ava shooed Amelias had away.
"It's fine, Ethan's nephew dose the same thing"
"Amelia suits her perfectly" Natalie smiled down at the little bundle of joy, knowing she's had one in her arms in a few months.
"I'm surprised you didn't hear about it sooner, it was in some of the papers yesterday" Connor sighed, fumbling with the baby carrier.
"How'd they find that out?" Maggie said in shock, thinking there'd been a leak from the hospital.
"People talk, we weren't exactly keeping it a secret" Ava shrugged not caring how they found out, only being completely ingrossed by her daughter.

There was a tap on the door as well entered the room.
"Oh wow, it's really turning into a party in here" he joked, wrapping an arm around Nat.
"Since we have everyone here, we wanted to tell you all together" will started.
"We're having a boy" Natalie annocunced.
Maggie and April screamed and hugged her, causing Will to jump back at the noise. Ava held out an arm for Will who leaned down and hugged her.
"Congratulations" she patted his back.
Connor took him in his arms next, "You can practice parenting by visiting Mel" he joked, congratulating his friend.

"Okey you discharge paper works been signed and were ready to go. We'll see you guys later, we're not going to take Mel through the ED just yet" Connor tells them, hugging everyone goodbye. Everyone returned to work and Ava, Connor and the baby were left in the room together.
Ava babbled at her daughter while Connor slipped out the door and wheeled something in.
"Seriously?" She looked between him and the wheelchair.
He gestured to the chair and Ava rolled her eyes, shaking her head to her daughter. Connor put Amelia in her bassist while he helped Ava into the chair. Making sure her jacket was zipped up and she had a blanket covering her legs. One that was done he carefully placed his daughter back in her mother's arms.
"You got everything?" Ava asked.
"Bag, baby clothes, baby carrier...." Connors trailed off.
"Oh yeah" he pulled something out of his pocket, slipping it on his daughters head. It was a blue knitted new born hat that was a little big on his tiny daughters head.
"Aw" Ava smiled down at her daughter.

Connor brought Ava out the maternity exit of the hospital and around to the car. "Here, help Mel in first" Ava nodded to her daughter, wanting to get her out of the cold. Connor got the baby carrier buckled in facing the rearview window, with a mirror facing the baby so they could still see her while driving.
"I'll help my girl now" her told her, helping Ava up out of the chair and into the car. He placed her in the back seat to watch Amelia, making sure her blanket was still tightly around her.
"I'm okey Connor"
"I know, but you always struggle with Chicago winters. Just let me fuss" her told her, readjusting her blanket for the countless time. Connor hopped into the drivers seat and pulled out of the car park, being more attentive and careful with such precious cargo on board. With the motion of the car Amelia quickly fell asleep, Connor and Ava didn't speak for fear of waking her, but exchanged smiles using the rear view mirror.

When they arrive home Connor quietly opened the car door, lifting his daughter out. Ava climbed out on her own, shuffling into the house after them. Connor pointed to himself and then the ceiling, signalling that he was going to bring Amelia upstairs.
Ava nodded and went into the kitchen to get a glass of water. Ava listened carefully as she sat on the sofa, tracing Connors movements upstairs. She heard no crying but faint steps coming down stairs.

"She's still asleep" Connor confirmed.
"I'm not surprised with how much she drank, I just hope she left some for later" Ava chugged her water.
"C'mon we should sleep while she dose" Connor held out a had for Ava.
"Where did you learn that?" Ava asked, knowing he never specialised in anything pregnancy related.
"I may have gotten some tips off Nat before we left the hospital" he pulled her to her feet, wrapping an arm around her waist.
"Connor I can do it"
"I can see it still hurts to walk Avey"
Ava sighed in defeat looking feebly down to the ground. Connor carefully picks her up in his arms, carrying her up the stairs.
"Let me care for my girl" he kisses her temple, quietly entering there room. Connor lay Ava down on their bed, picking out an over sized hoodie and sweatpants set of his to change Ava into. He was extra careful pulling her trousers on, carefully lifting the band over her scar and bandages. Connor kissed her forehead and flicked on the baby monitor. Stripping off his outer lays her crawled into bed with her. Ava could only lay on her back comfortably and Connor didn't want to risk hitting off her scar or breasts so they lay together, as close as they could get, holding hands under the covers.

Only twenty minutes later Ava heard a cry from next door and the baby monitor. She tried to sit up but a hand came to her shoulder, pushing her back down.
"I'll go" Connor told her, running out of the room before she could object. Ava closed her eyes again before she could hear voices next to her ear.

Hey princess, what's wrong? Why all the tears?

Where's sleepy Lia gone, huh?

You can't be hungry so- oh yep.

Ava giggled to herself hearing Connor talk got he baby, realising she needed a diaper change. Ava heard Connor moving around over the monitor. Amelia let out a little cry.

I'm sorry princess I know it's cold

There you go sweet pea, fresh as a daisy

Do you want to go see mommy? You have the best mommy you know that Mel? She cares so much for us and she always takes care of me, you and your big sister.

Should we go see her? Yeah, yeah we will.

Ava heard some shuffling in the room as Connor rolled the portable crib into their room, holding Amelia in his arms.
"Look who's that Amelia!" Connor stopped in the doorway, taking Amelia's chubby baby arms and waving it to Ava. He placed the crib next to Ava's side of the bed before climbing into bed with Ava.
"I hear I'm the best mother in the world" Ava grins up to him.
Connor furrows his brows before his eyes land on the baby monitor.
He rolled his eyes and leaned down to kiss Ava's forehead, "you are"
He carefully placed Mel on Ava's chest, slipping a pillow under her back.
Amelia fussed and didn't take it, "You're not hungry buba?" Ava lifted Amelia into the air.

Ava placed Amelia onto the bed between her parents. Connor ran a finger down Ava's cheek, drawing her attention to him.
"Go back to sleep, I'll stay up and watch her" he told her.
Ava nodded, keeping a hand on her daughters little body as she closed her eyes again.