Chapter 66- Surprise

Connor used his key fob to open the gates to their home. Connor parked outside and cut the engine, letting himself into the house.
"Ava I'm home" Connor called out around the hall.
"Kitchen" Ava hollered to him.
Setting his paper bag in the table Connor took of his jacket, gloves, and scarf. The same glove and scarf set that Ava had bought him for their first Christmas and that he'd treasured ever since.
Ava was sat on a yoga ball with a hand in her back in front of an art easel with Sophias at a kids table next to her.
"Pa" Sophia screamed, running up to him. Connor bent down and held his arms out to her, scooping her into his arms and spinning her around.
"My princess" he kissed her temple, returning her to her feet.
"Ma and I are painting" Sophia told him, bringing him over her sheet of paper. Sophia was playing with some kids water colours while Ava painted.
"Oh that's beautiful princess" Connor took her painting and stuck it to the fridge.

"Hey" Ava said softly from behind him.
Connor smiled to her, "My baby" he said, leaning down he pulled up Ava's t-shit to kiss her bulging bump. Ava ran a hand through his hair, "I thought I was your baby?"
"You know your my girl" he told her, pressing his lips to hers, keeping their bundle of joy safely between them.
Connor looked down and studied Ava's outfit, she had a pair of grey sweatpants on with a worn out t-shirt.
"You look so cute in my clothes" he told her, keeping him in her arms.
"No, I look enormous, like I'm smuggling a second yoga ball under my shirt"
Connor leaned in to kiss her again, "her but in a few weeks that yoga ball will be our beautiful daughter"

Ava hummed softly in agreement.
"C'mon, you shouldn't be on your feet to long" he walked her back to her yoga ball, lowering her down careful if onto it.
"Wow Ave, I knew you were good but this is beautiful" he kissed her temple, studying Ava's gouache painting of the Chicago sky line.
"There's Gaffney" she pointed to one area of light in the painting with the end of her brush.
Connor brushed a hand over her hair, taking her chin in his fingers he tilted her head up to him. "My talented girl" he kissed her softly.
Connor pulled away, keeping a hand on her cheek.
"I brought tacos" he told her.
Ava smiled up to him, "This is why I love you"
"Because I bring you tacos?" He asked, pulling her to her feet.
"Yes" she kissed him again, before waddling off to get the bag.
"Sophia, dinner" Ava called into the other room where Sophia had run off to.

Ava sat down with Sophia and Connor and tucked into their dinner.
"So Sophia how was school?" Connor asked his daughter.
"I didn't go to school, Pa" Sophia told him, messily eating her two tacos.
Ava took a sip from her water and avoided Connors eye.
"I only have so much maternity leave and we hadn't had a girls day in so long. Besides in two weeks it'll never be just us again" she defended.
"It's okey, you deserve some time together. So what did you do today Sophia?"
"We painted and watch Moana, went to the shops, and Mamma braided my hair"
"That sounds lovely"
Connor fished his tacos, leaving one on his plate he slid it over to Ava. Ava looked up to him and smiled.
"Thank you" she took the extra food graciously.
"Buba how about we watch another movie before we go to bed huh?" Connor suggested scooping Sophia into his arms. Ava stood up and took the plate while Connor placed Sophia on the sofa. Connor ran up to Ava, kissing her and taking the plates out of her hand.
"Go rest" he told her.
Ava lowered herself carefully onto the sofa, supporting her back with one hand. Connor sat between Ava and Sophia. Flicking on a movie he pulled Ava's legs onto his lap, piling pillows behind her back to support her. Connor massages the back of her legs, kissing the front of her shins.
"You feeling okey?" He asked quietly, noticing Sophia falling asleep next to him.
Ava nodded, "I've been a bit achy today, but I'll be fine"
Connor laced his fingers through hers, bring her hand to his to kiss her knuckles.

The move finished and Connor leaves down to kiss Ava's bump before sitting up from the sofa. Connor took a now asleep Sophia into his arms, she sleepily hurried her face in his shoulder. Connor bent down so Ava could kiss Sophias forehead before he brought her to get ready for bed. Connor washed Sophias face and brushed her teeth, sitting her in his lap her brushed her hair out before tucking her in.
"Night princess" he kissed her forehead, switching off her light.
Connor came back down to Ava, Connor ran his hand through her hair, kissing her forehead.
"Hey" he smiled to her.
"Hey" she caught his hand, "can you get me some chips and salsa from the pantry"
"Salsa and chips?" He questioned.
"Hey, the baby wants what the baby wants"
"Okey" he went to go get the chips for Ava.
"Thank you" she sat up, resting the bowl on her bump.
"How was work?" She asked, digging into her midnight snack.
"Good yeah, but I think you already know that. You didn't think I'd notice your med student running off to message you updates after every surgery?"
Ava blushed, "can you blame me, this is the longest I've even been off work. I don't know what to do with myself"
Connor shook his head playfully, "I've decommissioned your little spy, you know I'll give you updates whenever you want"
"I know, I know" she put her empty bowl down, "Your so good to me" she sniffled, whipping her eye.
"Hey, Avery what's wrong" he worried, taking her cheek into his hand.
"It's the hormones" she smiled, "Your babies making me an emotional wreck"
Connor wiped his thumb over her cheek, clearing the tears from her cheek.