Chapter 75- Lead?

Hank stood in front of the white board with all the information they knew on it. Stroking his beard he studied everything.

Why Ava, why now?

"What are you doing here?!" Hank says, spotting a figure coming up the stairs.
"I'm here to help" Connor pushed the gate open.
"Who let you up here?"
"Trudy, I can be persuasive" he shrugged.
Connor studied the crime scene photos of his bedroom, the pool of blood, broken lamp and Ava's cell phone.
"Hey, don't look at them" Jay turned the board away.
"Where are the girls?" Voight asked.
"At Nat and Will's"
"Their mother has just disappeared and you just abandoned them" he scoffed.
"I'm trying to find Ava" Connor argued, dropping a heavy leather book on a desk.
"This is a list of every company my dad screwed over. I figured between them targeting me, my dad and Ava, it would be a good place to start"

Jay look to Hank, "it's a good angle"
"Fine" Hank stormed off to his office. Connor pulled up a spare chair to jays desk and sat down with a highlighter. Jay sat next to him, taking half the papers, and away they went.

Dawn broke over the precinct and light spilled into the windows, and still the detectives worked.
"Here" A hand came down on Connors shoulder, Hailey places a cup of coffee in front of him

"Here" Ava placed a coffee cup next to Connor.
"I think you need it more then me"
"I'm fine, thanks" he brushed it off.
"Oh yeah, dishevelled hair, bags under your eyes. You look great!"
"Look Ava, I'm really not in the mood" he sighed.
"At least it's hasn't effect your sunny disposition"

"Yeah, thanks" Connor rubbed his eyes.
"Do you want something to eat, you've been at this for hours"
"No, I'll be okey" he shook it off.
"There a fruit bowl in the break room" she said before returning to her desk.
Connor finished yet another page with no leads, Jay had left him to do a breakfast run so Connor was working twice as fast. He got up and stumbled into the break room, taking an apple from the bowl he sat down to take a bite of it, only resting his eyes for a minute.

"Connor, Connor, hello" someone shook his shoulder.
"What, Jay?" Connor questioned as he opened his eyes.
"I fell asleep" he pointed out the obvious.
"It's twelve-fourty five"
Connor groaned and his head fall back into the sofa.
"I didn't mean to fall asleep"
"You needed it, besides, we have a lead"
Connor shot into the air, "Why didn't you lead with that!"

Connor walked back out of the break room as Voight was exposing the new lead.
"Who is he?" Connor asked, storming up to the board.
"Martin Wheeler, your farther put his shoe markers out of Business in 2010. He wife left him and took the kids as a result"
"And you think he has Avey" Connor breathed, staring at the man on the board.
"He's been very vocal online about getting back at those who wronged him" Kevin said.
"It's a possibility. He owns a warehouse on Swift road. We're going down to check it out now"
"I'll come with you" Connor grabbed his coat.

Hank sighed and turned to his team, nodding for them to go ahead.
"Look son-"
"I'm not your son"
"Connor" Hank placed a hand on his shoulder. "You've got to let us do our jobs"
"Go home to your girls, they need you"
"Your going to need a Doctor when you find her" he pointed to Voight's chest.
"I'm going to be that doctor"
"Okey" Hank agreed, grabbing his jacket before leaving the station.

*

"Okey roll out!" Hank called as they stromed the warehouse.
"Chicago PD hands in the air"
"Don't shoot, don't shoot" Martin threw his hands in the air.
"What's going on here" Hank asked, looking around as the team spread out.
"I make shoes, with my son. We give them out at shelters. I have all my paper work I swear!" His hands tremor in the air.
"All clear sarge, no ones here"
"Where's Ava Bekker"
"Ava who? I don't know an Ava"
"The fiancé of a multi-millionaire went missing early this morning. A millionaire you've been very vocal in your dislike for, and need for revenge" Voight tells him.
"Rhodes, isn't it. She's one of them. Look I was angry at the time but I'm a a changed man, I found forgiveness in religion"
"Where were you between two and four am?"
"I was preparing breakfast at the shelter, we start serving at six"
Voight lowers his weapon, believing this man.

"We're going to take you in for formal questioning, everyone fall back"
They took Martin and lead him outside, pushing him into a patrol car.
Hank ran his hand through his hair, he had really hoped to find Ava there. Looking up he spotted a familiar car from across the road.
"Take him away" Hank patted in the car, strolling across the street.
"Did you find her, are you arresting him?" Connor rambled walking towards Hank, hand out a hand to his chest and put him back.
"He's not the one, we're just taking him to get a formal statement"
Connors shoulders fell in desperation.
"Go home, Connor" he patted his shoulder.
"I'll drive you" he took the car keys from Connor.