Chapter 45- Coming home

"Your out of bed" Ava said in shock, coming into Connors room.
"Let's just say I'm eager to get out of here" Connor sat down on the edge of the bed, pulling Ava between his legs. Holding her soft cheeks and curls he kissed her tenderly.
"You'll be back in here soon as a doctor. Out of the frying pan and into the fire" Ava teases, stealing another kiss.
"Good things I like the fire" Connor kissed her again.
"Okey come on cowboy, lets get out of here, or else we'll never leave" she pulled him off the bed by his hand. Wheeling in a wheelchair from the hall Ava nodded to the seat.
"Oh, no way" Connor laughed.
"Yes, Connor. You had major surgery you can't over work yourself"
"I am not being wheeled out of the hospital in front of all my colleagues. I'll walk to the car"
"And what happens when your too tired to walk to the apartment?" Ava probed, "we have the wheelchair here, but I can't carry you into the apartment"
Defeated Connor sat down in the chair. Ava leaned over and brushed his noticeably grown hair from his forehead, planting a light kiss above his brow.

"Your enjoying this, aren't you?" Connor asked once they got into the elevator.
"Only a tad, Cowboy"
Ava rolled Connor into the Ed and they were immediately surrounded by their friends.
"Leaving us so soon Dr.Rhodes" Maggie teased from the nurses station.
"Oh I know you'll miss me terribly Mag's" Connor pouted, playing along to her goad.
"Hey don't leave it to long man, we need you back in the Ed" Ethan reminded him, coming up to fist bump him.
They said goodbye to everyone before parting, Ava wheeled Connor to the SUV the pair had bought to accommodate their family now that Ava and Sophia had relocated to Chicago. Connor still had his Porsche for his own personal car.
"I'm okey" Connor assures Ava again as he gets up from the chair and into the car. Regardless, Ava keeps a supportive hand on his back as he got into the car. Ava hopped in the other side and immediately welcomes the warmth of the car, shortly followed by the embrace of Connors arms around her.
"I love you Ave" He whispers to her.
"I love you too, Cowboy" she replied, pulling away from the hug to drive the car, but keeping her hand securely on Connors knee.
"Nat and Will are at the house with Sophia, to watch her while I went to get you. And for Will to help me get you into the apartment"
"I'll be fine" Connor murmurs, falling asleep in the passenger seat next to her. Ava shakes her hand, amused by Connors childish behaviour.

Ava sent Will a quick text to let him know they were outside. Getting out of the car Will came around the far side to Connor. "Hey man, great to see you back on your feet, sort of" Will joked, helping Connor out of the car. He wrapped his arm around Connors back, allowing him to lean on him. Ava got the bags from the boot and they headed up to Nat.

"There you go" Will set Connor down on the sofa, allowing him to relax and spread out.
"Thank you so much for watching Sophia" Ava thank the, giving Nat a hug.
"It's no problem Ava, honestly. Do you think you'll be okey managing things here?" Will asked after her.
"I'll be fine, get home to Hellen and Owen, you've done enough honestly" Ava assured them as they walked to the door. Hugging each of them again they said their goodbyes and Ava went back to check on Connor.
"I'm fine Ava" Connor argued from the sofa as have prodded his head up with some pillows.
"Baby you were falling asleep on the drive home" She reminded.
"We rarely get days off, just take the time and rest"
Sophia came running into join them, "Papa" she smiled, pulling herself onto the sofa to cuddle with him.
"See now you even have a nap buddy" Ava giggles, kissing each of her loves foreheads before going to start dinner.

Ava started work on a simple but cosy beef curry for the family, with just plain rice and beef for Sophia. While the rice was cooking Ava began chopping her carrots, potatoes and onions. When she sliced into the onion the smell wafted you to her, burning her eyes and hitting her with a wave of nausea. Quickly but silently slipping past Sophia and Connor, Ava turned on the taps in the bathroom and vomited into the toilet. After washing her face and rinsing her mouth Ava returned to the kitchen, happy to see Connor and Sophia still asleep, cuddled up together.