Chapter 12- Arguments

Connor had asked Ava to come back to his place with him last night. Reminding him that she till had a child to care for, she instead asked him to walk her to her car.

Heading back into the hospital the pair made their way to the crèche.
"Hey Sophia" Conner smiled as she ran past Ava towards him.
"I didn't think I'd be so easily replaced" Ava chuckled, her heart warming at the sight of them.
"She's just excited that I'm new person in her life" Connor scooped Sophia up in his arms as Ava grabbed her bags. "My sister and Russel got married a year after you left Chicago by the way" Connor added, realising he had never mentioned it.
"God how many marriages did I miss" wincing at the thought of everything she had missed in her friends lives.
"They've been trying for a baby for about a year now, no luck" Connor pulled Sophia's legs and arms under his jacket as they made their way through the underground car park.

"I'm sorry to hear that" Ava frowned, Claire and her had never been close but she knew her and felt her struggle. Ava didn't believe she could have kids until she got pregnant accidentally.
They walked for the next few minutes in silence, only their footsteps echoing in the concrete building. "Your great with her" Ava smiled as Connor helped her put a now asleep Sophia in her car seat. Popping back out of the car Ava's hair was ruffled from the fabric on the car ceiling. Running his hands delicately through her curls, smoothing them out with his fingers, Connor caught the back of her neck in his hand, pulling her in for a light kiss.

"Goodnight Avery" he whispered into her lips and her cheeks flushed pink.
"Goodnight my cowboy" Ava said kissing him one last time before getting in her car and heading home.

*

Connor was still beaming from Ava calling him her cowboy the night before. He had gotten so lucky that she forgave him for how he had acted, that he could have her back in his life. He was still beating himself up all the cruel things he had said to her, but that was the past. All he could do was make up for it in the present.
Walking up the Ed. Connor was met with Ava and Jay just by the entrance. Ava's brows were furrowed and her shoulders were tense, just like all the times they had argued over patients. Walking up to Ava wanting to get Jay away from her.
"Everything alright here?" Connor said sternly towards Jay.
"We're fine Connor" Ava brushed him off, nodding at Jay she walked towards the hospital doors.

"What's going on" Connor took off his scarf and snaked it around Ava's neck.
"Ava where's your jacket" it was a cold Chicago morning and Ava was only wearing her scrubs and under armour. "In my locker, Jay grabbed me after I started my shift"
Ava smiled as her checks turned red, welcomed by the warmth of the Ed. Ava walked Connor to the doctors lounge, carefully unwinding Connors scarf from her neck and handing it back to him. "Keep it" he said pushing in back into her hands. "I know how much you hate this cold"
Ava carefully folded the scarf, placing it gently into her locker. "Thank you" Ava grinned to Connor, taking his face in her hands and pulling him closer. Connor gasped suddenly jumped back. "What's wrong" Ava asked worriedly, why had he pulled away. Had she done her teeth that morning?
"Ave your hands are like ice" taking her hands in his Connor blew into them and rubbed them together.
Chuckling at Connors concerned, caring side, Ava's pager suddenly went off. "I'm needed upstairs" said pulling away. "What about my kiss" Connor fake pouted.
"Sophias starting to rub off on you cowboy, the next time I see you" Ava blew him a kiss from the door before running off.

A/n: hope you guys enjoyed 😍