Chapter 19- Questioning

Ava was buzzed into a question room when Hailey and Jay sat in front of her.
"Please state your name for the tape" Jay coldly looked into her eyes.
"Ava Bekker"
"Full name" Hailey corrected her.
"Ava Minenhle Bekker"
"Some of our paper work has you down as Ava Michelle Bekker, is their a reason for that?" Hailey questioned going through some papers.
"Michelle's easier for Americans to pronounce. But Minenhle is my legal middle name"
Jay nodded, sucking his teeth.
"Ava how would you describe your relationship with Cornelius's Rhodes"
"Am I the only one who gets déjà vu whenever you call me in for one of these chats" Ava says playfully.
"Ava how would you describe your relationship with Cornelius's Rhodes" they ask again.
"We he was a member of the hospital board, so I suppose he was a patron of my work. They he was my boyfriends farther and eventually my patient"
"When your we're treating Mr.Rhodes what drugs did you administer to him during his treatment" Jay asked.
"I would have given him blood thinners, morphine for the pain, and he would have been on sleeping meds" Ava listed.
"So at no point in his treatment would he have needed to be administered synthetic insulin" Hailey questioned.
"No" Ava replied shortly. "He wasn't diabetic and we had no reason to believe he was"

"Mrs Bekker can you tell us what your doing in this footage" Jay asked handing him a tablet.
Ava takes the tablet in her hands and hits play. She watches herself walk into Cornelius's room, exchange some words with him, before injecting some meds into his IV. The video plays, sped up slightly so she can see that 30 minutes after this exchange Cornelius's went into V-fib. Ava watched herself rush in and start chest compression, the defibrillate is wheeled in as she shocks him. Worst of all see watches Connor walk into the room, his face full and happier as she'd seen him in a while, before his whole word crumbles before him and his face drops. Connor rushes over to his farther and starts chest compressions before Ava puts a hand on his shoulder, telling him to stop and that he's gone.

Ava sniffles slightly and wipes under her eyes after watching what Connor had to go through.
"This footage was sent in by an anonymous source this morning, it clearly shows you administering medication to Mr.Rhodes IV before he died. This is the only opportunity we can find that insulin could have made it into his system and we have video footage of you putting it their" Hailey informs her, obviously aware of how this looks.
Ava sniggers to herself at the footage. "This is your concrete evidence that I'm a killer" Ava looks between the two of them as they stare back at her blankly.
Ava double taps the footage, zooming in on her hand as she sucks the medication from the vile. The image is so small you cannot read what the vile says, but you can see the cap.
"What colour do you see detectives?" Ava asked them calmly.
"Yellow" Jay replies stiffly.
"Yes, yellow is the cap given to morphine vile's" Ava says dropping the tablet lightly on the table. "Blue is the colour for insulin caps" Ava says victorious having proven her innocence once again. "Some detectives you are"

*

Connor was up waiting anxiously for Ava to return, he'd made dinner for the three of them and left hers in the oven. Connor had put Sophia to bed and was looking for ways to distract himself.
Opening up his laptop Connor began to read some new medical journals when his laptop dinged.

Email
1 Video Attached
Sorry to break it to you Rhodes, once a killer, always a killer ;)

*

Ava walked out if PD and started making her way to the subway.
"Ava!" Jay called after her.
"What Jay" Ava calls back agitated, stopping to let her catch up with him.
"Look Av, don't take it personally, it was routine questioning"
"I'm not offended by that, I'm offended by how quite in their you where. You seriously thought I was killing him in that video. Has it even dawned on you how convenient it is that this footage was only sent in now, when I'm back in Chicago. Now, when I would have been taken away in front of a sea of reporters if it hadn't had been you on call"
"Thanks a lot for believing in me Jay" Ava scoffed turning on her heal.

Jay stood there and watched her go, realising how perfect it would have been for the person who wants Ava out of Chicago to see her dragged out of the hospital in front of all those reporters. Their was more to this situation than meets the eye.

A/n 800 reads! Thank you so much 💓