Chapter 64- Trial

Ava woke up feeling a dampness under her thighs and legs. Still groggy from sleep Ava pulled her duvet back she became aware that she was laying in a pool of her own blood.
"Connor, Connor" she tried to shake him awake, smearing the blood over her thighs. Looking to her side she found she was alone in her bed.
Ava pulled herself out of bed, feeling stabbing pains as she went. She stumbled out of the bedroom, carefully pulling herself downstairs, leaving a trail of blood behind her.
"Connor" she whimpered, grabbing onto the kitchen island. Looking around she saw no signs of life until her eyes landed on her cell phone in front of her.
Ava didn't even wait for the dial tone to start talking.
"Hank, please, I need a medic. I think I'm losing the baby" she gasped.

The number you are trying to call has been disconnected, please try a different number.

"No, no, no" she tapped her phone screen repeatedly as it went black. The floorboard behind her creeped, drawing her attention away, "Connor?"
She turned around to find a masked man standing in the doorway. With a flick of his arm he turned out the knife of a switchblade. Ava stumbled backwards trying to get some distance between the two. Two strong hands landed on her arms holding her in place as the man approached her.

"NO, NO GET OFF ME. GET OFF ME!" She screamed, kicking her legs at the man.

"AVA!" Connor shouted over her and she snapped her eyes open. Connor held her down by her arms, looming over her. She sat up, bolting out of his grasp and throwing the duvet back. Ava studied the mattress and her inner thighs, only to find no blood.
"Ava your okey, it was a nightmare" he told her, placing a hand on her damp back.
"Avey your okey" he whispered again, kissing the top of her head.
"The baby, they, they took my baby. Connor, they took her" she rambled in a daze.
"Shhh, shh" Connor pulled her head against his chest, keeping her against him.
"No one's taken our baby Ava" he told her, bringing her hand to her bump.
"She still safe in there" he kissed her temple.
"The baby" she croaked, "your were gone, and I was bleeding, and having contractions. And they took her, they took my baby"

"Ava, Ava look at me" he cupped her face, with one hand, holding hers with the other.
"It wasn't real, it was a nightmare, Okey. Squeeze my hand, that's real, okey. You can feel it" Connor told her in a soothing tone.
Ava squeezed his hand hard, feeling it in her hand.
"Guess I better get used to that for when this little princess comes alone" he laughed lightly, brushing his fingers over Ava's bump.
"Oh trust me, your hand will be purple by the end of this" she told him knowingly.
"It'll all be worth it" he told her, kissing her temple.
Ava turned her head up to look at Connor in the dark.
"Can we go to med tomorrow and get an ultrasound, just to make sure she's okey?" Ava asked timidly, knowing how silly it's sounded.
"Of course Ave, if that would make you feel better" he whispered to her in the dark.
"But we'll have to go early, we're in court for 10am"
Ava shivered at the thought of it, shrinking into Connors arms more.

"Come on" he said, getting up from the bed.
Ava sat up taking his hands without protest.
"Your soaked, let's get dried off okey" he pulled her out of bed, guiding her to the bathroom. Connor ran the bath, checking the temperature several times before stepping into it himself, guiding Ava in afterwards.
She lay back against him, her head resting on his chest, listing to his steady heat beat. Connor reached for a flannel that hung on the wall, dipping it into the water he ran the rag down her arms and over her shoulders.
"I love you Ave" he told her, kissing her bare shoulder. Ava close her eyes, settling into his touch. Connor brought the rag up the slope of Ava's neck, and down her chest. Ava smiled at the feeling of Connors arm brushing over her boob.
"You like that don't you" he whispered into her ear, moving the rag gently up and down Ava's chest.
Ava opened her eyes and smiled up to him innocently.
"No comment" she told him confidently.
Connor laughed, kissing just under her ear he stopped what he was doing to bring his forehead to her shoulder.
"I don't think that's quite what the lawyers meant when they told us to use that" he chuckled, happy to see Ava's mood on the rise.
"Mhm, I know. I love you" Ava said sleepily, resting her head on the edge of the tub.