Chapter 56- Picnic

Ava woke up, stretching her limbs out across the bed. It was rare that she would get a day off, so after recovering from the fatigue of the last few days, she was taking full advantage of the beds here that were soften then air.

It was only 9.40am which was still a decent lie in for Ava. Missing her Fiancé and daughter Ava pulled herself out of bed, having a quick shower before going down to them.
"Well if it isn't the most beautifully, stunning cardiothoracic surgeon I've ever seen" Connor greeted her, seeing her coming into the kitchen.
Connor took her into his arms, pressing his lips passionately against her. Ava hummed against his lips, welcoming the morning kiss.

"Good morning" Ava murmured, resting her head into the curve of Connors neck. Ava pricked her head up, her lungs filled with warm, sweet scents filling the kitchen.
"What are you up to?" Ava asked sceptically, pulling away to sit at the kitchen table.
Connor returned to the kitchen counter, turning his back to Ava.
"Good morning buba" Ava smiled, pulling Sophia onto her lap. Ava planted a kiss on Sophia's temple, looking down at the paper before her.
"Wat is hierdie baba*" Ava asked, flicking through the pages. There were several, all of little stick people enjoying the sun and eating together.
"Verras" Sophia smiled up to her, colouring in an oversize sun on the corner of her page.

"Verras?" Ava question, rolling her head back in her chair to look at Connor. Connor turned away from the counter to look at her, "what I can't surprise my girl?" He asked, leaning down to kiss her.
"Depends, what's the surprise?" She breathed against his lips, smirking up at him. Before Connor gave her an answer he pulled away, returning to his chopping board.
"There's some clothes upstairs in our wardrobe for you and Sophia" he said over his shoulder.
"It's just us today, I told Carlota to take the day off" he smiled to her.
"You heard Pa, buba. Up you go, I'll be there in a minute" Ava ran a hand through Sophia's hair. Sophia jumped off her lap and ran down the hall.

Ava got up from kitchen table, joining Connor at the counter. Studying the scene before her Ava spots strawberry, peppers and cucumbers laid out on cutting boards.
Strolling over to the oven Ava goes to peek inside before a hand catches her waist. Connor walks her over back against the counter.
"What are you up to Cowboy?" She asked, brushing her lips against his, wrapping her arms around the back of his shoulder.
Connor brushed Ava's hair behind her ear, dotting kissing across her neck, lingering on her pulse point.
"Wouldn't you like to know?" He whispered in a low tone into her ear. Ava threw her eyes back, slipping out of Connors grasp. She rested her palms against the kitchen counter, studying the assortment of items Connor had laid out on the counter.

Connor slipped a hand onto the small of her back, causing Ava to gasp slightly. Tightening her grip in the counter Ava pushing back her memories of that day, of that feeling. She slipped a hand onto her bump and steadied her breath.
"Ave" Connor whispered, bringing his hand to her shoulder. He ran his lips across her hair, soothing her mind and memories.
"I'm sorry Avey" he whispered to her. Ava shook her head, turning to him, "It'll pass". Ava brought her lips to his again, and Connor smiled, breaking the kiss.
"Go get dressed" he gave her one last squeeze.

Ava went upstairs to find Sophia playing in her room. Ava have a little shreeik before tickling her from behind.
"Mumma" Sophia giggled, reaching up for Ava.
"Hello princess" Ava kissed the top of her head, "let's go get ready for papa's surprise"
Ava lead Sophia into her and Connors room, setting her down in the bed.
Opening the wardrobe with the few possession's they brought with them into this house, Ava found two blue dresses. One small one with a soft white collar, with China blue flowers decorating it and puffed sleeves. And the second was a long pin stripped sun dress with a v-neck and an open back with a bow.

Ava got Sophias changed and brushed out her hair.
"Sophia, do you know what Papa's surprise is?" Ava asked her daughter, running her hands though her hair.
"Pa said not to tell, Verras, Mumma" Sophia told her, reaching up to run her own hands through Ava's curls.
"She's certainly a Daddy's girl" Ava thought to herself
Ava got herself changed into the Flowing dress, feeling the soft fabric slide over her skin, highlighting her bump.
"Let's go bubba" Ava took her into her arms, holding her on her hip.