Chapter 62- Home

Ava woke up in the same position she had fallen asleep in. Rubbing her eyes she became aware of Connors hand still on her bump. Lacing her fingers through his she was happy in this comfortable warmth before she had to get up for her shift.

Soon after she felt Connor stir behind her. His hand slipped out from under hers and he sat up on the bed. Connor placed his hand on top of Ava's and gave it a squeeze, leaning down her placed his lips on her bump, "Be good for mommy" he muttered against her skin before walking off to the bathroom. Ava waited until the water in the shower shut off to get up, she had a later start time so she could get herself Sophia up when Connor was heading off to work. She slipped Connors shirt off her, not wanting to address it after how confused he looked last night.
Ava made her way into the kitchen to make herself, Sophia and Connor breakfast, and get her first tea of the day. She heard the bathroom door click open and turned to see Connor exit and disappear into their bedroom. He didn't turn to look at her, "Maybe he didn't know I was up yet" Ava brushed it off, stirring her pot of porridge.

Ava knocked on Sophias door before entering, "Time to wake up Bubba" Ava whispered, stroking her daughters cheek. Ava saw Sophias eyes move under her eyelid before her eyes fluttered open. "Morning Mumma" Sophia smiled at her mother, wiping the sleep from her eyes. Ava gives her daughter a snuggle before they head out to have breakfast.
With the aid of a stepping stool Ava gets Sophia settled on a bar stool at the breakfast bar. "Their you go Soph" Ava says sliding a bowl over to her.
Sophia was used to early rises from Ava's shifts in South Africa, the whole family went to bed early for them. Sophia would do her homework in the mornings before school, which usually consisted of colouring pictures of animals.

"Mumma dance" Sophia asked as her favourite song came over the radio.
"Okey Bubba, but only for a bit, you need to eat your breakfast" Sophia motioned to be lifted into Ava's arms, "I can't lift you sweat pea, I've got your sister on me. But if you stand up I have an idea" Ava told her.
Ava got Sophia up siting on the breakfast bar, which was about waist high for Ava, where Sophia would normally sit.
Ava swayed side from side in between her daughters legs, pulling and pushing her arms. Her and Sophia laughed at each other, it had been a while since they could dance together.

The bedroom door clicked behind them and Connor came out in a fresh pair of scrubs.
"Good morning" Ava smiled to him, still holding Sophias hands, "I made porridge, it's in a lunch box for you if you want to eat when you get to the hospital"
Connor pulled on his shoes and grabbed his bag, "Yeah, I'll head in early and eat before shift, thanks. I have to make some calls" he said in a fluster, as he took the lunchbox and slipped it into his bag.
"Good morning princess" Connor leaned in to kiss Sophias forehead. Turning to Ava he gazed at her for a moment before kissing her cheek. Ava's face fell at this cold action as Connor turned his back to them. "Goodbye" he called out before closing the door behind him.

*

"You're awfully quite today" Natalie commented. They had just dropped Sophia and Owen off at their school and were stuck in heavy traffic from the rain. Ava fiddled with her engagement ring as she thought.
"Connor and I had a fight that's all" Ava said sadly.
"Not even like a real fight more just like a disagreement"
Natalie frowned, "I'm sorry, what about?"
"I was looking at houses outside of Chicago behind his back, I know I should have sopken to him first. But it's not as if I put an offer in on anything, I was just looking. Nat I don't know if I want to stay in Chicago, I don't feel safe raising my kids here with everything that's happened to us"
"Hey Ava, they got the guys who they know were involved, one of them will talk and spill the whole thing. The trials coming up soon as well isn't it?" Natalie added thoughtfully.
Ava watched the window wipers push forward and back in front of her.
"Yeah" she said softly. The relation between her and one of her would be abductors hand been kept out of the press light to avoid yet another Rhodes scandal.
"I told him I wanted some space, so he slept on the sofa. But the the baby was kicking like mad and she only settles to Connors voice now. I went to go see if he was awake, he wasn't, the he woke up while I was getting some water. He came to bed with me and held be and bump, and I thought everything was fine" Ava explained.
"But then today before he left he kissed Sophia goodbye, and then he kissed me on the cheek"
"Like I was his grandma" Ava scowled.