Chapter 7- Rivial

It was late into a sift, Ava had spent the has two hours prepping and practicing for the separation surgery when her pager went off.
She began scrubbing in, peering in through the window to the OR. "What have we got" Ava breathed through her mask looking at the scene before her.
"We've got to get a patch on the lung but it's a moving target, I need and extra pair of hands" Connor said his face tense.
"And where's you're assistant" Ava asked taking a set of tweezers from the try.
"Sarah is not answering her pager" Connor said slowly as he managed to get the patch in.
"Eee, rookie mistake" Ava joked, "I'm sure she's just help up with a patient"
"It's good to see you back in the OR" Beth said handing Ava a scalpel.
Beth had been Ava's only real girl-friend throughout her time at med. They'd often spent time gossiping in the doctors lounge when they could get a chance. Aside from Latham and Goodwin, Beth was the only other person Ava had missed. Yeah her and Nat we're friendly, but they had never really been friends.
"Ah, I'll be short lived Beth, I'm going back to Capetown in two weeks" Ava sighed dramatically at her. "We'll go for lunch after this, catch up"

"You didn't tell me you were heading back so soon" Connor said looking up at her.
"I do have a life in Capetown Connor, theirs nothing keeping me here. And certain people" Ava said referring to Sophia. "Need stability in their life"

Ava peered over her mask at him. Did he really think she would stay in Chicago? The thought had crossed her mind, Med paid better then Capetown and it was a better career move to come back to Chicago. "No, I just thought you might get an offer after the surgery" Connor suggested.

A young women burst through the doors. "Sorry I'm late I didn't get the page till now" the women breathed. "It's alright Sarah, we brought doctor Bekker in to cover" Rhodes called over the intercom.

"But this was my case" Sarah argued.
"We weren't able to contact you, he's still your patient but we couldn't wait around"
Sarah stormed out without saying anything else.
"She seems friendly" Ava added sarcasticly.
"She reminded me a lot of you when I first met her" Connor fired
Ava shook her head even though she to could see the comparison.