Chapter 35 - New Me

Lily was discharged an hour after Lizzie arrived. If everything went well, she would be able to get the cast off within two weeks.

"Give me the keys," Lizzie says not unkindly when they walk out to the parking lot. Lily had crutches but Lizzie stayed close watching every step and ready to catch her if she fell.

"I guess I can't drive," Lily comments. "But I don't have it. Hailee does."

Lizzie turns to Hailee and extends her hand.

"I'll drive," Hailee states. "I feel a little responsible for her ending up in the hospital. It's the least I could do to drive the way back."

"Not to be rude but I just want to get back to the city," Lizzie sighs. "Give me the keys."

"No."

"I'm not arguing with you," Lizzie frowns. "Keys. Now."

"No, I'm driving."

"Hailee –"

"Elizabeth," Hailee says in return, matching Lizzie's stern tone. Or at least attempting to.

"Lily!" they both yell.

"Why me?!" Lily exclaims.

"Decide who's driving," Hailee says. "It's the only way to settle this."

"You guys haven't known each other for more than two hours and you're already bickering like you've known each other for years," Lily complains. "It's like you guys are the same person or something."

"One, don't say that. I don't want to be doing the things you do with her," Hailee starts, "and two, isn't there a reason why I'm your best friend and she's your girlfriend? You must like us very much."

"As much as it kills me to say, I do like you both very very much," Lily chuckles.

"Well I still want to get home," Lizzie huffs. "Please decide on who is driving."

Lily looks between the two women in front of them. Why did it feel like she was choosing one over the other in this case? It's not like they were both fighting for her love – because only one of them really is in the game for that. It felt like she was choosing who she liked more and it's a lose-lose situation.

She practically lives with Lizzie so making her mad wouldn't be the best idea. But Hailee pretty much knows all her deepest darkest secrets – Would she risk being exposed in that hour long car ride?

"Hailee should drive," Lily finally settles.

"Wha –" Lizzie starts but Lily quickly speaks to justify her choice.

"So I can sit with you in the back," Lily says. "Would that be okay?"

Though she wasn't thrilled with the choice, Lily's justification brought a smile to her face. "Okay," Lizzie says in defeat.

"Great!" Hailee says and skips over to the car where she pulls it around to the front so Lily didn't have to strain herself. Lily and Lizzie climb into the back with little difficulty and then they are on the way back to LA.

The way back is quiet with the music on low volume. Hailee hums along but they don't make much conversation. At one point, Hailee looked back at the rearview mirror to see Lizzie leaning against Lily's shoulder and Lily's head against Lizzie's as they both fell into a light sleep.

'They're so cute,' Hailee thought, seeing the two of them holding hands and completely at peace together.

As they neared Hailee's house, they two in the back woke up. Maybe their bodies knew based on how long they've been sleeping or a sixth sense but they ended up murmuring sweet nothings to each other and twiddling their fingers together.