Chapter 37 - 3 Words

Mary-Kate and Ashley wore the exact same thing; a simple polo and blue jeans. When they both stuck out their hand to Lily at the same time stating their names, "MK" and "Ashley" respectively, Lily knew this was a test. No set of identical twins wear the same clothes after their parents stop dressing them.

"Hi," Lily greets and shakes each of their hands. "I'm Lily."

"Oh it smells good," Ashley comments. "What did you cook, Lizzie?"

Lizzie places a hand on Lily's shoulder. "Actually, Lily is the chef of our dinner tonight. It smells delicious, right?"

Lily gives Lizzie a thankful smile. She could count on her to have her back and help her get on their good side.

"We'll be the judge of that," MK states, not rude but not in the most pleasant tone either.

"Come in," Lily says, gesturing to the inside of her apartment. "The flatbread will be done in just a few minutes but can I get you two something to drink?"

"Not at the moment," Ashley answers at the same time that MK says, "No."

With the help of Lizzie, the two of them lead the twins into the apartment where they settle in the living room.

"Baby, I'm going to get your crutches," Lizzie tells her after she helps Lily settle onto the couch. Before she leaves the three of them, she glares at her sisters knowing exactly why they are dressed the same and MK's attitude.

They always plotted different ways to test Lizzie's partners. This tactic is one of their favorites – to dress up exactly the same to see if her partner could differentiate them other than the clothes they were wearing. It's hard, admittedly, but they only did that when Lizzie is serious about her partner. The things Lizzie told them – well it seemed very serious to them. Combine that with the good cop, bad cop tactic, they are definitely not making it easy for Lily.

But Lizzie couldn't do anything about it. It was a forbidden rule for her to warn her partners, as she's learned early on. One time, she told her boyfriend about her sister's plots and when MK and Ashley found out, they ended up telling her boyfriend so many embarrassing stories that they didn't even get through the entire night.

Lizzie wouldn't admit it but she gets amused at her sister's antics and it is entertaining and interesting to see how her partners react or how they handle the situation. There's a mix of nervousness and anxiousness to see how much they like or dislike her partner, but she's confident Lily will pass their test. She's Lily, after all.

When Lizzie returns to the living room with the crutches, she is surprised to see Lily and her sisters laughing. It seems all the nervousness Lily was feeling disappeared as she cracks another joke that sends the three of them into another fit of laughter. Even MK who is playing the bad cop can't help herself from the burst of laughter erupting in her throat.

"What are we talking about?" Lizzie asks as she joins them, taking a seat next to Lily and wraps an arm around Lily's waist, which earns a curious look from her girlfriend but Lily doesn't make a move to move her hand.

"Lily was just telling us about how she got that broken ankle," Ashley answers.

"You made her pack an extra pair of underwear?" MK teases Lizzie.

"She was jumping out of a plane!" Lizzie exclaims in defense. "You don't know what will function and what will not."

Lily snickers and says, "Just because of that, I made sure to go to the bathroom three times before we took off," with a wink to the twins. To her pleasure, the twins burst out laughing again.

"Well continue your story. I actually haven't heard about it since you had me worried sick and running to the hospital yesterday," Lizzie says.

Lily dives into the story of their jump. First she describes the anticiaption of waiting to get on the plane and then how excited yet afraid her and Hailee were on the way up. She told them about the game of rock, paper, scissors to decide the order.