Act 1 - 17

Sitting outside to enjoy the nice breeze mixed with the comforting warm atmosphere in the courtyard outside of the Acadamy. Sitting and finishing up the last few of my admin alongside Akane.

"They just wanted to put so many things on us," he groans. "Makes you want to wonder if there is a point to it at all."

"I mean if we do get injured they would like to know where and who to contact," I then twist my lips to the side. "I am looking forward to getting a feel for these little missions that we are going to get sent on, to really see what we can do when the situation calls for it."

"Heard that it is a majority of the things that our curriculum relies on," I look at him. "Which is why they only give us specialised classes next year to see if this is the thing we want to spend the rest of our lives doing."

"What do you want to do?"

"Want to do this," he states. "My parents are blacksmiths for magical weaponry, that's how we learned that I wasn't a dud but for some psychological reasons I need to have some form of catalyst to use any of my powers," he sighs loudly.

"It's kind of cool actually," I smile at him.

"Shut up," he then shuts his eyes tightly. "Talking about cool when your power can easily be one of the coolest things I saw from everyone here. I mean it helps that you aren't super sad and depressed which is bonus points."

"I can't even use it properly because it doesn't use mana but stamina. All I can do so far is use it to make my attacks stronger and use it to move around,"—I then glance up at the sky and instantly wince at the shafts of light piercing through the leaves of the tree—"I have a long way to go to even understand it a little bit."

"That's why we are all here," he stretches his arms behind his back. "Though I think the best way to go forward is to do as hard missions as we are allowed to."

I look at him, "For sponsorships?"

With a nod, "Yeah - a lot of companies want you to rock their gear, runes, weapons, enchantments, and such to get a real feel for everything. I also heard there are dimensional rifts that lead us to other worlds, I am super excited to see that."

"You know a lot about this, don't you?"

He grins widely, "I have been doing a lot of research to know what is what - that also means we are going to be pretty wildly recognised among the students around us."

I look around to see everyone wandering around. I guess his positivity and hype building around it just help nudge us forward and keep our heads and spirits high. With how most of the personalities in our group work Akane here is a breath of fresh air.

I glance down at my work and finish filling up the last reports as I pull out my phone, making a call to see if Mom will pick up.

"Who are you calling?"

"Need to call my mom about something."

"Cool, I'll just be here trying to remember what my house's street name is."

I roll my eyes as I put my laptop in my bag and step out of the shade to take in the sun while I wait for her to pick up. "Detective (L/N)."

I then chuckle. "This is your phone, mom."

"Ah, must've mistaken them," then hearing her flick her lighter. "Got your rating?"

"Four," I state.

"Same as me," she adds. "That must also mean they want to find you a trainer but can't find one because we were both one in a billion."

"Headmaster wants to talk to you about my training."

"Oh?" I can hear her blowing the smoke out of her system, she has a sensitive phone mic. "Must mean they want to hire me as a personal trainer and get paid depending on how important you are to the government but that means stepping down as a detective for the time being."

I furrow my brow, "I can manage I think."

"You will," she states. "But do you want to spend years figuring it out or rather spend months?"

"I don't want you to give up doing what you want to for me."

"I am a mother,  your mother. I knew the moment you had the same powers as me, that I would have to make a lot of sacrifices and I told you that I would do it in a heartbeat. I can get leave from the government and still hold my position."

I then chuckle. "And Sam?"

"I get more time with her this way," she adds. "So in a way, this works out for the better and she doesn't have to spend most of her time entertaining herself. But... I might have to finish one last job before I can fully commit. I'll have to get back to you on it."

"So this pretty much works out for you."

"I suppose, I'll talk to the headmaster somewhere tomorrow concerning the details. I have to get back to work."

"See you, mom."

She cuts the call. I know that learning from her is probably my only way forward, there isn't some magical way of just understanding how this works. It just isn't that easy, I wish it was. I head back to Akane who then lifts himself.

"Done?"

"Yeah, feels like it took forever," then resting his hands behind his head. "I am starving and want to hit the cafeteria and see if they have anything good, lunchtime is just a couple of minutes away."

I nod as I walk with him, "I am pretty hungry. It feels like I haven't eaten properly the past week."

"I mean we had to do it ourselves. There isn't much to get this early in the year as most of the academy shops are either closed or being stocked to be opened."

You wouldn't expect them to handle a lot of the things they do for us but I guess we are just technically employed mercenaries or a unique version of it that helps protect the world around us.

"Should we see if we can get the rest?"

I then look at him. "The girls already grouped up around the time we left our second class - just need to go and find Griff and Valk. Think those two already said they were going to scope out the food to see if there is anything worth looking into."

He groans, "Do you have everyone's numbers?"

"Rey does."

"Make a group and tell her to add us all. Makes it easier on us," I hold my stare as he furrows his brow at me, "What?"

"Sounds more like an easy way to get their numbers without asking."

"No man, it's not like that."

"Hm mhm," I then pull out my phone. "I'll tell Rey to make it for us."

I send her a message only for another one to pop up from Evelynn.

You have any plans for tonight?