Act 2 - 033

"Where does that leave you?"

I lift my shoulders into a shrug. "Stuck in multiple hard spots waiting for a sign from above to show me that I am doing the right thing... but the right thing would probably be letting the bastard go off without a bruise but I don't see a world where I am going to let him walk."

Ashe leans against the counter as she dresses herself. "There isn't a single person in heaven or in hell below that should tell you what to do. As long as you are making that choice for yourself and not someone else then there'll be no issues."

I chuckle as I do the same, dressing myself for the day. "I'll just play their sick game, will see who changes."

"Which breaks first?" She chuckles. I glance at her as if to try and see something but there's nothing.

Maybe that was just her way of flirting and getting me to that point... but strangely enough, a part of me really wished that she'd have a modicum of my powers. But if that was the case wouldn't it be too easy?

Though I doubt a lot of people here are going to be fond of the idea of sex just to receive a smidge of power.

"Not me, never me."

"Good," she looks up at me. "Have you heard from Jhin?"

The name is like a reminder of a monster that I once crossed paths with and now I am certain if I found him he'd be dead. I shake my head in response as I rub my neck.

"I haven't asked. I intended on finding him myself when the time comes."

"He's gone," her answer led to me glancing at her with a furrowed brow. "Nobody has seen or heard of him for two years, chances are he abandoned ship because Kiriko said she could find him, there wasn't a trace of him left. As if he ran as fast as he could, or already did what he wanted to do."

"He'll be back," I state. "I thought he died already. He's hidden amidst the crowd, watching us all, waiting for his time to shine I suppose."

"Probably not far from the truth either," she grabs her coat and slides it on. "I'm going to pretend that I didn't sleep a wink so that I can slack off and not do any of the paperwork that has been pilling up due to my crippled state," I can't help but laugh at her as she walks around to gather all her things. "You promise me, that you won't do anything ridiculously stupid."

"No promises," I shake my head with a smile.

She steps closer and hugs me tightly, she speaks with a whisper. "I am serious, don't do anything that could lead to... all of this vanishing in the blink of an eye (Y/N). I've only just gotten you again, letting go a second time and I'll sleep forever."

"Don't make promises like that," I warn her, almost as if pleading with her not to threaten me with her life.

"Put yourself in my shoes, I've tasted sleep barely enough times for me to count on both my hands. What good is a little reprieve only for it to disappear forever yet again... because without you that's what I'll be reduced to."

"Ashe-"

"I was fine living my life never able to sleep, never be able to dream. But when you're body gets used to finally resting after all those years of your head tearing you apart through the nights... I am not going back to that."

I hug her tightly. "We'll find a way so that you can't rely on me forever."

"That would mean you'd stop snuggling up to me eventually."

"Never."

She kisses the side of my face. "We'll see if you can keep that promise, as long as you at least attempt to come home every night."

"I will," I reassure her.

She breaks away from me and heads straight for the door. "Catch you tonight, I don't expect them to give you plenty of time for yourself, number one."

"No rest for the wicked."

"Then I must be the worst of the lot," she waves at me as she steps out of the building.

I finish cleaning the place before I do the same. The day is a nice bright and sunny day, I haven't seen much of these in the Void considering it is much of the same with the light of the world sometimes disappearing for hours and then coming back.

The bioluminescence of the world was plenty light enough.

Memory appears beside me as we walk to the main building. "I took Nox with me while you were sating your appetite. There's a world that I want us to explore outside of this one, I can sense an Abyss presence that is unknown to me and I wish for you to claim it before Despair takes interest in that world."

"If there is one, why wouldn't he have taken interest already?"

"Despair isn't ruthless or a bloodthirsty fiend. All things meet the fate he promises eventually, but that world is already in a state of ruin, there was nothing to claim, Despair has already set in without the need for our intervention."

I nod slowly. "Show me later, we'll visit it alone. The less people know about it the more likely we are able to get away with someone intervening."

"We run the risk of alerting the other Nightmares hunting you."

I stop him. "Hunting me?"

"We are safe in this world for the time being, there is little need for them to pierce the veil between this world and theirs... this world is on the verge of a total collapse which would mean they will be able to see you through the veil."

I take a deep breath. "Nothing ventured, nothing gained. Later though, I have to visit our good friend Azreal."