Act 2 - 039

I spent the rest of the day prepping for whatever may come from this venture. In my mind I was repeating to myself over and over that no matter what happens I will see this through and whatever comes from it... well, I alone will face it.

I'll make sure of that fact.

Meeting up with Fury, she instantly lifts herself with her blade ready. I can spot the reason, two people are standing behind her. One's gaze is locked onto the floor with a pained expression and the other can't force himself to look me in the eye.

I approach Fury, "Precaution?"

"It's a promise."

I nod and return the gesture. "Then you should pray that your ability to regenerate is enough for me to never find out how to kill you, Fury. That's my promise."

She chuckles at me. "Enemies out of necessity, why not focus all that hostility on the one putting me up to the task? Or do we just stand around and hope that Azreal will let the two dogs go their separate ways."

"Don't mistake my cooperation, I am not leashed."

She walks away from me. "Not yet." I cross my arms as Fury talks to the two of them within earshot, "Righto. Troy this is your families' expedition so go ahead and take us to your people and then we can get this night over before it even had a chance to start."

"With him behind us?"

"Want him to walk in front? If I wanted to die I wouldn't want to see it coming." She then shakes her head, "And you, Erica? You ready?"

"Yeah." She lacks the usual excitement that I am used to her, the vibrancy and feeling in her voice has been reduced to something cold and monotonous. "But why is (Y/N) here?"

I ask her, "Is it easy to say my name when you won't even look me in the eye?"

Her expression shifts further, almost like someone who is under incredible stress. "He's here because dumbfuck over here pushed him into the Rift that made him disappear for all that time and Azreal, the Headmaster, wants to fuck with both of us."

She shoots a gaze at Troy who doesn't look at anyone other than Fury.

Erica breathes out, "Is that so..."

"Hm mhm. And you two sad souls have been chosen for this very mission, so cheers for that," her words are directed at Troy who turns around and walks us all towards the people we are supposed to meet with.

Memory appears next to me. "Are we to bide our time?"

I mutter, "Give it time. Now's not the time or place."

"Then I'll watch."

At my side Nox appears in a smaller form, I rest my hand on top of her scales as she slithers beside us. The walk forward is spent in silence. Erica is keeping her distance from Troy, Troy is leading far ahead and Fury is keeping me away from the two of them.

She can't stop me.

If anything, it would be wise of her to stay out of it but we both know that isn't possible. But I've made that decision for myself. We meet a transport that picks them up and puts them in the seats while putting me and Fury in the back.

I leap up and my two shadows disappear beside me. I cross my arms over the railing of the pickup and enjoy the breeze. Fury walks to the same side lowers herself down to the floor and crosses her arms over her knees.

"Where does the night take us, (Y/N)?"

"That entirely depends on me," I state.

"Don't be smart with me."

I chuckle, shooting her a glare, "Do intend to be in my way?"

"Do you intend on throwing away everything you have?" She asks. "You don't know what he is capable of and you haven't seen him for what he is. But please, go ahead. Maybe you can prove me wrong."

I pull my glare away from her. "I once ignored the threat someone once posed and he pushed me into a world that would eat me alive." I shake my head slowly before I express, "Stay out of my way, easier for both of us that way."

She doesn't respond.

The ride to the rift was spent in silence. All of them get out of their vehicles and towards the staging area in front of the Rift. A good chunk of this group of people needs to rely on the anchor to prevent the Rift from throwing them into the deep end.

All of them... they belong to the same Agency.

If I were to fuck around now they'd all be on me at a moment's notice.

I walk up to the main group to see a woman that almost looks identical to Troy. She doesn't look much older than him and if I have to guess she has the same kind of morphing power as he has.

She clears her throat. "Thank you all for tagging along, we don't have the manpower to spare in the event of them attacking us the moment we cross the gap. You all will be plenty enough for our researchers to get what they want for the Headmaster."

Fury asks, "And who are you?"

"Eldest Sister of the Reeds." So I assume it would be Troy Reed. "We've already prepped our anchors for those that still need it and we are waiting on the two of you to cross the gap for us first to clear it for us."

"Of course." Fury gestures for me to start walking, I roll my eyes at her but I do as I am ordered.

In front of me, there was a group of four that stepped in just before me. Another two stepped inside making it six inside. I step into the rift and feel my being shudder and quake before it settles back in its place, almost like my stomach both rose and sank at the same time.

My vision is finally replaced by the same damned place that I left barely a week ago. It feels the same, smells the same... though this time around I would be able to get home without the need of a Rift.

I turn around to spot Troy stepping in along with his sister.

"Memory."

Without any further input, the shadow that I cast has spread across the plateau. The darkness spread to the rift and swallowed it like a wave and forced it to collapse in on itself, dislodging all anchors and trapping us all in here.

"Nox," I command her next.

She rises from the pool of darkness and uses her body to encircle them to prevent any of them from escaping. Her large head peeks over and hisses at everyone caught within my trap, screams rise as focus starts to settle on me.

"What is this?!"  Another screams.

"What monsters did we walk into?"

I glance to the side to see Troy's spirit sink as his sister rushes to his side. Both of their gazes rest on me, they are both aware of what comes next and that only applies to whoever stands in my way.

It won't be long till Fury catches up and bridges the gap between these two worlds.