Chapter 18

(y/n)'s POV:

Finally reaching my brother's place with the brand new car he gave me as an early birthday gift, I parked it in the garage and the both of us got out. Sanemi led the way inside his home.

"Make yourself at home." He stated, walking inside his office.

Who am I to deny such a request? That's why I headed straight to his living room, plopping down on the sofa, facing the huge wall-mounted television he had in there.

Everything in his house was brand new and modern, mostly colored and styled in black and white. Just like his clothes. He would usually wear his pitch black suit with a white shirt underneath it. Stylish.

"When did you renovate this place? Last time I've been here it was different." I asked him.

He walked out of his office shirtless, wearing a pair of joggers on himself instead of the elegant pants. He closed and locked the door behind himself. "Huh?" he looked down at me with a neutral expression, holding a t-shirt in one of his hands. "Oh... Maybe 1 or 2 months ago, I don't remember.  You like it?" He asked, pulling the t-shirt over his head.

I shrugged my shoulders. "Reflects what you like so it suits you I guess, but too modern for me. I mean, look at that statue." I pointed at one of them which was nearby. "What the fuck is that? Did you really pay for that stuff?"

He rolled his eyes and walked away, heading straight to the kitchen which was behind me. "Got it. Not your style. Anyway... You hungry? We could cook something if you want."

I rose to my feet and made my way to the kitchen as well, joining him in preparing whatever he took out of the fridge. "Yes yes I'd love to!" I told him, turning all excited about it.

It was some kind of tradition for us to cook together whenever I would come here. It was always so much fun and sometimes we ended up throwing flour at each other or whatever that got between our hands, laughing as if there was no tomorrow. Probably Nemi is the one and only man in my life who could, and always would make me happy. He had a talent in making me smile on my worst days if he had the chance to meet up with me.

He was always there for me whatever happened. Back when we were younger he protected me from my bullies, getting in trouble with the principal all the time because of that. He helped me in my studies, he cheered me up if I was sad because of some idiot guy who broke my heart. He saved me from death back when that certain car accident happened when our mother and our brother Genya died.

About that...

This happened many years ago... We were about to go on a small vacation. Us kids sitting on the backseat and mom was driving. For a split second when she didn't look, we crashed into someone else, the car flipping upside down. She would always use the seatbelt but she didn't fasten it at that day and flew out of the car much to her unfortunate, dying immediately. Genya got skewered with a metal object, also dying right then and there.

Nemi and me... I remember he shouted for everyone to watch out before the tragedy happened. He wanted to pull both me and our brother into his embrace to protect us, but he could only hold onto me. His face, and his body was full of glass and metal shards and he almost got a heart attack when he saw that one of the shards landed in the flesh of my thigh. He tried to talk to me but to be honest I don't remember what he was saying.

The horror and the fear I felt on that day was like non other. My mind couldn't even process what happened for long minutes. I was in utter shock, Nemi was the one snapping me back to reality. My leg was stuck, but he managed to save me and we eventually climbed out of the car, the sirens of the police cars and the ambulance getting nearer and nearer.