Chapter 49

(Y/n)'s POV:

"RUN!" My brother yelled again.

When he came inside, I stumbled and fell on my butt on the ground, seeing him standing in front of me protectively in a stance with a sword in his hands. Since when does he has a sword? Since when does he know how to wield one? Why did he come here into Noriko's apartment in the first place? I have so many questions.

"Sanemi what's going on?" I asked him desperately, wanting to know what the hell is happening right now.

Why is there so much blood in here? What happened to my best friend and why is she acting out of character? What's with those sharp claws and those weird horns on her forehead?

"We don't have time for this. Get out of here right now before you get hurt!" He said strictly, glancing at me over his shoulder. "You shouldn't be seeing this..."

"See what?" I asked, then I heard that growl coming from Noriko again as she tried to attack Nemi. "SANEMI! NO!" I cried out with tears in my eyes.

I thought that we are going to die here. I thought that I am going to witness my best friend killing my only family left, then get killed afterwards. I thought that my life ends here and I swear I saw my entire life flashing before my eyes. It felt like forever, but in reality it was only a moment.

However, instead of witnessing my brother's death, I saw something much different. And I don't know which outcome would have been worse.

But he did it. With one swift movement, in a blink of an eye... using his sharp sword, Sanemi beheaded Noriko, her head rolling to the side on the ground and her body falling limp as well. I saw her mouth moving. She was saying something, but I was too shocked to register her words. My head was pounding by the racing thoughts and questions that filled my brain. Soon her entire body just vanished into thin air and that was when I really realized that she's dead. She's no longer a part of this world. And that's all because of Sanemi. It was him who killed her.

He put his sword away back into it's scabbard, showing his back to me.

"What have you done?" I whispered, holding onto my head. "What have you done?!" I repeated a bit more firmly this time, tears continuously streaming down my face. "You killed her..." I whispered.

"(Y/n)." He called out to me softly.

"YOU KILLED HER!" I yelled at him, my voice cracking as I spoke and sobbed.

"THERE WAS NO OTHER WAY!" he yelled back, finally facing me. "SHE WOULD HAVE KILLED THE BOTH OF US IF I DIDN'T BEHEAD HER!"

"How are you so sure about that huh?! She would never hurt me! I bet this is just a sick trick! It wasn't her! She would never act this way! She-"

He cut me off. "She became a demon! She wasn't herself anymore!"

"What do you mean she became a demon?! Demons don't exist!"

"Well guess what, they do exist and if I didn't kill her, she would have killed you and she would be probably feasting on you for now!" He spoke firmly, raising his voice at me.

I was shocked. It was too much information at once. "So you mean you just killed my best friend?" I asked, my voice cracking once again.

He was clenching his fists tightly, but now he loosened them a little. "Yes..."

"You killed her?" I whispered to myself, the entire situation and what happened slowly sinking in.

I heard him take a few steps closer to me. "I'm sorry-"

"Murderer..." I whispered, staring ahead at nothing in particular. From the corner of my eyes I saw that he flinched. "You are a murderer..." I said mere above a whisper, tears welling up in my eyes. My best friend was gone forever.