Chapter 49

If Sirius said he didn't want to wrap his arms around Remus and kiss his cheek and tell him it was all ok, he would be lying. He didn't do this but he wished he could.

Remus still talked to them over dinner and there was a bit of distance, he could feel it. Remus knew they were all there for him, they always were but he had a feeling that something was being blocked, causing them to not truly be able to comfort him. He would be lying if he said the injuries did not hurt, even the thought of them made him wince or take a shuddering breath, but he had been down this path once before and hid the fact of how much of an impact this had all been on him.

Two weeks into august and Remus and Sirius would agree that they could be sick of Regulus. Due to him not being able to write to Regulus, James resulted in talking about him all the time. As much as the two cared about Regulus and James, if they heard James say he misses him one more time they were willing to burn his eyebrows off.

Now with them able to do magic things they did became much more bizarre. They often met up with Marlene and Peter and one day Marlene appeared with her hair a hot pink and by the next day it was back to normal. From what Euphemia had told Remus, James and Sirius had so far only set a bed sheet on fire which was rather surprising. They had erupted into chaos now they were legally allowed to do magic.

They went to Diagon alley to collect their school items for the last time and Remus did his yearly buying of books stuffing them into his already tightly packed trunk. Euphemia was already aware of Remus's werewolf condition so on the last week of august when the moon came around she apparated him to the woods where he went to in the summer and as soon as the sun rose the next day came back for him.

It was good Euphemia was a healer, without it, Remus may have been left off in a worse condition on many occasions. She fixed a deep wound on his thigh before they apparated back to the Potters.

Sirius wanted Remus back, and that had never changed, so seeing him like this in a bad state always made him feel useless. He knew he would never stop trying to get Remus back, and he would forever pay for what he did.

By the end of August, Remus had written to Melanie quite a few times, and he let her know where he was. Remus hadn't told the others about their relationship, something was stopping him but he was not sure why.

"Are you crying, you sop," Remus said after he pushed his trolley through the wall and saw James looking at the train.

"This is the last year we'll be doing this Moony, I met you here, sorry for being upset," James said wiping away the little tears in his eyes.

"You're still gonna have Remus in your life," Sirius chuckled pulling an arm around James as they grabbed their trunks and the three said goodbye to Euphemia before they got on the train.

They walked down the right corridor before opening the compartment door, they sat down in their seats and were silent for a few seconds before Marlene came with a grin on her face.

"It's last year bitches," Marlene said and she dropped herself onto Remus's lap.

"Ow-, Remus what the hell is in your pocket," she said and Remus sighed and pulled out a badge.

"Holy shit, you're head boy, why didn't you tell us," James beamed, the three were all smiling at him.

"It's nothing," Remus said.

"Remus," a voice said brightly and they all turned to see Melanie. She came over and in seconds had an arm around Remus's neck and was kissing him, right in the middle of the compartment.

"I'm going to find Tabitha, I haven't told her about us yet, the badge looks nice, you should put it on," she smiled before walking out.

"I guess that was nothing to?" Marlene asked, arching an eyebrow as James gave a small glance over to Sirius.

Sirius could have sworn he felt his heart stop upon seeing that, his smile fell instantly.

Remus sat down looked at his feet and answered Marlene's question "We started dating in July," he replied honestly and his eyes flicked back up to meet Sirius'. He didn't know why but saying this in front of Sirius made him upset and he couldn't help but wonder what Sirius was thinking.

Lily soon arrived wearing a gleaming head girl badge and then Dorcas and Mary came in. Regulus came and soon found himself in James' embrace, merlin had missed it.

Peter came last and soon the train began to move. It was the last start of the year's journey to Hogwarts, and Regulus knew that even though he should have another year, this might also be his last one.

Many were surprised by Remus's new girlfriend announcement and all wondered how Sirius was feeling about that.

Remus spent a bit of the time patrolling the carriages with Lily after a meeting with the prefects and then some of his time with Melanie and her friends, she was smart and funny and kind, she wouldn't be able to hurt a fly but she would if necessary. She was the only Hufflepuff in her whole family the rest of the Zabinis were Slytherins, but you would know instantly why she was Hufflepuff, she was too kind not to be, and she was ambitious but more loyal to people to be in any other house.

The train soon pulled into the station and they all grabbed their trunks and stepped off the train looking at the familiar school in front of them.