40

Peyton

"And it was still hot." I read the last line of the book. "That's the end, kiddos."

"Thank you, Miss Peyton." The kids called out as some of them clapped. I really hated that I was going to be leaving this place because, despite the various sicknesses and illnesses, these babies brought me so much joy. Their resilience, their fight, and their optimism was something to marvel at. They inspired me every single time I walked through the doors.

Some of these babies were riddled with diseases that would have them bed-ridden for weeks and months at a time, only to be bound to a wheelchair or walking apparatus. It made me put my life in perspective. Like on the days when I didn't feel like going to the gym or getting out of bed, I did it anyway simply because I could. I was able to do it. Most of those kids wouldn't get to have that opportunity or have that privilege because their ability was taken from them. What they wouldn't give to just take a walk, let alone run, at a playground. These tiny bodied heroes were one of the reasons that I would never take the small things for granted.

"Miss Peyton! Look! We're dressed alike today!" One of my babies said, wheeling her chair next to me. Looking down at our outfits, sure enough we were wearing blue jeans, a white t-shirt and white Nikes. I even tried to match the bright smile that she had on her face.

"We are!" I squatted down to her level. "But you look so much cooler, Bri. I need to step my game up to catch up with you!" I booped her on her nose, making her giggle.

"I know! You gotta do better, friend." We both laughed.

Briana was one of the first kids that I met when I started. She had muscular dystrophy, and would come in over the years for surgeries and treatments. She was five when we met, but had the soul of someone four times her age. Her personality was well beyond her years, and made falling in love with her easy. Her sass always kept me on my toes. That was my little cutie pie.

I'd try to be the fun, cool person to help them take their minds off what was happening with them. Bri had told her mom that she wanted to be like me one day, so on the days I was coming, I'd coordinate with her mom for us to have on the same outfits, or something close. Michelle, my other baby hero, was battling cancer, and when she lost her hair she was inconsolable. So I made it a point to visit her with my own bald head, just so she wouldn't feel alone. My girl is cancer free now, with hair just as beautiful as she is.

As everyone went their separate ways, I pushed Bri to her room, then went to Tameka Costen's office. Director of the children's volunteer and special services departments, she was one of the nicest women I'd ever met at this place. Everyone loved her, and she loved them. She wasn't old enough to be a mother figure, but maybe a big sister. We've had plenty of after work talks about relationships over the years, so it was no surprise to me that she celebrated my break up from my ex. I knocked on her door and waited for her to respond before entering.

"My girl, PT! How you doing Miss Lady?"

"I'm doing okay, Miss Tameka. How's your day?" I had to gauge her mood to see how I was about to deliver this news.

"I'm doing alright. Today's been pretty chill. I hope it stays that way," she eyed me pensively.

"Well, I guess I'll just rip the bandaid off and not make this longer than it needs to be. Unfortunately, I'll be leaving you guys. Depending on the timing of things, it could be as soon as next week."

"Quit playing with me Peyton. You're leaving me?" She asked, taking a seat behind her desk.

"Yeah. I'm actually going to be moving out of Atlanta."