52

Peyton

"What is this one?" I pointed to a shape on Eissa's easel.

"Um, a circle!"

"Good job! Now, color all of the circles red, okay? Then we'll do the next one."

"Okay, Pey Pey."

Eissa and I were waiting for Janet to come back with her mother and sisters to my apartment. As promised, I had made dinner for all of us at my place, and Janet was on her way upstairs with all of them, even Latoya, after meeting them in the garage downstairs. Despite how she feels about me or my relationship with her sister, Latoya was still my baby's family, and I would be as cool with her as I could be. That would be until she gave me a reason not to.

Ms. Katherine had specifically asked for something with chicken, so that's what she got: smothered chicken, rice and peas, collard greens, macaroni and cheese, and cornbread. Since her family was from the south, Janet told me that I was going to start something with her mother, and would have to cook like this all the time. I didn't mind it. Janet had made two sweet potato pies earlier that were calling my name. It took a little convincing though. She really didn't want to make anything, but once Boogie and I started pouting, mainly me, she caved, but certainly not before giving me a playful eye roll and groan.

Boogie was in his room, playing on his easel while I finished up cooking. To keep him occupied, I had drawn a bunch of shapes for him, and told him to shade them a specific color. It was something simple, but he was having so much fun doing it.

I heard voices and laughter before my door opened, as all of the Jackson women entered my home. Ms. Katherine was first, who I grabbed first for a welcoming hug and kiss to her cheek. Rebbie followed up, who hugged me and gave me a bottle of wine. LaHater was the third, who just smiled and followed Rebbie to my living room. Janet shook her head and pecked my lips.

"I told her to be nice or we were going to kick her out," she said quietly.

I placed the bottle that I was holding in the wine chiller. "We'll be fine. But I'll give you some kind of signal when it's time for her to go."

"Understood, Baby."

"Where is my grandson?" Ms. Katherine called from the living room with Rebbie and Latoya.

"In his room, coloring." I answered back before calling out to him. "Boogie! Someone's here to see you."

"His room?" I heard Layota ask Rebbie who simply nodded her head.

"Grandma!" He hollered while running into her arms. "What you doing here?"

"I was invited over for dinner. What are you doing here?" She asked him while hugging him back.

"I in my room at Pey Pey house. Come on!" He started to pull her by the hand towards his room.

Janet spoke up, stopping him in his excited tracks. "Wait a minute, Eissa. You gotta say hi to your aunts, first."

"Hi Auntie Webbie. Hi Auntie Toya." He ran and gave them hugs before turning back to Ms. Katherine. "Come on, Grandma!"

"Well, okay then," she chuckled, letting him lead her away.

J went to sit with her sisters on the sofa. Rebbie turned to me "Peyton, everything looks so good in here. You're all settled in now, right?"

"Thank you! For the most part, I'm settled, that is until I think of something else that I need. That console table finally came in that you recommended. Thanks for that, by the way."

"No problem. Where did you end up putting it?"

"It's in my office. It fits perfectly on the wall beside my desk. Baby, can you show your sisters around while I finish up? We should be ready to eat in about ten minutes." I asked Janet.